we'll carry on

I looked at my surroundings, trying to take in how I got here. The last thing, I remembered were beeping sounds and a hand that was grasping mine. What had happened to me? And where were I?

Slowly, I could make out silhouettes. All of this was kind of colourless and the trees on the roadsides looked sick or even dead. Oh shit, was I dead?

I had to be. My memories were coming back, almost making me fall down with its force. I had been in an accident. In one moment, I was singing along to the radio in the next, something had knocked me off the road in the sideline.

Everything hurt and I felt persons moving around me hectically. At one point, I had regained my consciousness and had seen my mother asleep on my side, clutching my hand. Then sleep had me back and the next thing I knew was this landscape.

Seriously, where were I? I looked down on my arms and noticed the writing on my right wrist.

Can you please stop looking at me like that? You kinda make me nervous right now

My soulmate. Now, they would never meet me, I realised with shock. Oh how would that feel for them? They would think that they didn't have a soulmate or feel alone.

No. That was unfair. How could fate let that happen? They probably had now a life full of doubt about this. Or would their writing fade away? Was there a way to find out that the your soulmate died?

And if, how were they? Suddenly, all I wanted was to hold the person I had not been able to meet and tell them it would all get better.

I wasn't upset that I was dead. Everyone would die eventually but I was furious that I had left my soulmate behind.

Or maybe, it wasn't such a big deal I made it. There surely was a different way or they simply would keep living his life. Could they just get another soulmate assigned? Or they didn't even believe in this stuff?

"Hey there, angel you're new?" A voice startled me.

I turned around to face the person speaking. A man with short blond hair and some kind of uniform marched up to me and waved.

I could only stare at him. Was he dead, too? "Huh?"

The stranger giggled. "I take that as a yes. Come on, I'll show you around the afterlife."

"Afterlife?" I echoed.

His expression softened and he looked at me pitiful. "Yes angel, you're dead, I'm afraid. I'm Gerard and I know my way around pretty well here so I can guide you a little bit."

He said all of that in a soft voice and offered me his hand. I shook it hesitantly.

"I'm Y/N. And a guide would be great to be honest. I kind of just appeared here." I chuckled nervously.

"Oh, that happens to everyone. Come on, I'll introduce you to my friends we're more or less the leaders around here," Gerard explained and hooked our arms while softly pulling me in a direction.

We walked around the place, probably somewhere Gerard wanted to bring me but I couldn't make out exactly what we were looking for. Everything looked more or less the same.

"Can I ask you something?" I said timidly.

He nodded and smiled at me. "Sure"

"Will I have the chance to meet my soulmate or do we only have time to find each other on earth?" I asked, afraid of his answer.

His expression softened significantly. "Angel, don't give up hope, you'll find each other. I've met people who met their soulmate here in the afterlife and I know people who are waiting for their soulmate to join them. My brother is one of the people who haven't met them yet and we've been here for centuries. It will happen."