I fell in love with my best friend

"Mikey I need a huge favour!" I said to him instead of a greeting as my best friend entered my room. He was coming over for a movie night and just got a few things from his house for staying the night. We wanted to celebrate the start of the holidays a bit.

My best friend raised his eyebrows. "I'm not helping you steal the kittens from next door," Mikey stated with a straight face.

I slapped his arm as he sat down next to me. "Not that, although that's a great idea. Maybe I'll ask Frank to do it."

"He likes dogs better."

"So?"

As he lied back down on my bed, Mikey looked at me curiously. "What kind of favour are we talking about?"

I shifted a bit around. Could I really ask him that? I mean, yes I may like him a little too much but I planned on that staying a secret. Wouldn't asking him to do this be a bit obvious? Ah, fuck it.

"My grandparents planned this big family reunion/family holiday-thing next week and there will also be my aunt who tries to set me up with her neighbour's son and asks all the time when I'll finally get a boyfriend and it just annoys me endlessly."

Now Mikey perked up. "And what's that to do with me? You want me to help you finding a boyfriend?"

"Well, actually..." I pulled out the y and looked at him with puppy eyes.

Immediately Mikey's head raised from its place on the pillow. "Oh, nonono! You're not implying what I think you are, right?"

I had to admit that it did sting pretty much to see him being that repulsed by the idea. Would it be that bad acting like he liked me like this?

"Oh come on, it's only a long weekend on the beach and we don't have to do anything intense just like holding hands and probably sleeping in the same room," I tried to coax him, ignoring the burning in my chest I was feeling.

Mikey seemed unsure and wait, nervous? "You think that's a good idea?"

"Of course not, it's a terrible idea but I really don't want to have to put up with these pitiful looks only because I am too antisocial to find a boyfriend," I told him honestly.

He giggled lightly at my comment. "Fine. But we have to think of a story and I'm kind of scared of your parents."

Well, now I was baffled. I didn't really expect him to be okay with it this fast and had prepared a whole speech.

"Scared of my parents?" was the only thing that came out of my mouth.

"Have you seen the looks your father's giving me lately?" He shot back, half joking half intimidated. It was right, my father had caught on more or less on my sudden interest in my best friend and watched us now like a hawk. And that wasn't helping with my feelings because naturally, Mikey didn't came over as often anymore what made me feel like shit in return. Thanks, Dad.

"But you're okay with being my fake boyfriend for the family vacation?" I came back to the original subject.

Mikey shrugged but refused to look at me and instead played with the corner of the bedsheet. Almost like he was nervous. Weird. "It's a vacation and I have nothing else to do. Also we can probably spend much time together what is pretty cool."

At the last bit I blushed lightly. I totally forgot about that part but he was right and now I already began imagining what all could happen. We could have long beach walks and water fights and... No stop it, we weren't a couple! Stupid romantic brain!

"Cool, so I'll just tell them that you're coming as my date and hopefully that stops most of the questions," I told Mikey, who seemed unconvinced but stayed quiet.