Chapter 52: The Ring

Murphy's POV

I begin running down the hallway panicked, so confused and scared at why Draco told me to hide. Where could I go in this house that the death eaters wouldn't find me, I could hide outside in the garden, the property was around 39 acres, but how would I get downstairs without being seen.

I suddenly hear footsteps coming from down the hallway and growling, my heart starts beating faster as I back away slowly, when suddenly someone grabs me from the side and pulls me into a room with a steep and narrow staircase. It was Narcissa.

"Quick, up the stairs now" she orders me

We climb up together and find another door, before entering she casts a charm on the door, then casts a charm on the steps, causing them to disappear.

She leads me into the room, and once again locks the door behind us. I fall back against the wall and take a deep breath of relief.

"You should be safe here, its somewhat hidden, even with your mudblood scent, that oaf wouldn't figure out how to get up here" she explains. It was a weird hidden room, I had cased this entire house for months and never came across it, it was almost like an old attic.

"You saved me... again" I say to her looking down.

"Once again, I don't care what happens to you, I just couldn't let another death eater find you after my son let you go" she says coldly

"I don't believe you" I say to her firmly as I stare up at her, she looks away from me. I stand up angrily, having enough of her games.

"I don't understand what this is anymore, you hate me and my kind, you obliviated your own son so he would stay away from me, and here I am under the same roof as him every single day, safe and protected from those monsters" I shout at her

"What are you trying to say then" she spits back

"I want to know why? Why do you keep protecting me when you despise me so much?" I say to her in confusion

She meets my gaze with a furious expression, but suddenly starts to soften it, and she lets a tear run down her cheek, I had never seen her look like this before, well at least not at me.

"Let's just say I know how cruel men can be, especially to a 17 year old girl like yourself and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy" she says with a pained expression. I look back at her still confused, what did she mean by that? When suddenly I realise what she was trying to say.

"You mean ... when you were my age... someone hurt you..." I say to her cautiously.

She scoffs, "Hurt is an understatement, you see I have been a part of this world since a very young age, and the death eaters then were just as evil, and the worst part is that no one was there to protect me" she explains sorrowfully.

"But your family" I begin saying

"Please, I was from a wealthy high standing family, do you really think they would ever let something like that get out, especially if it meant they would be on the dark lord's bad side, nothing was worth that, not even me..." she says looking down

"How long did they let that happen to you" I say in disgust.

"Long enough for me to realise I had to get tough if I was going to survive in this world" she says firmly. I suddenly realised, she was who she was because she had no choice, she is a fighter and she was going to fight for what she wanted, and that was to keep her family safe, in the way her family never did for her.

"I am sorry" I say to her sincerely

"Please I do not need someone like you feeling sorry for me" she growls