Chapter 5: Childish games

Murphy's POV

I can't believe I'm late for Potions today I thought hurrying towards Professor Snape's class, he is the one teacher I couldn't bear to disappoint. As I stumble into the classroom, I try my best to take a seat unnoticed at the table with Hermione, Neville and Ron. I sit next to Neville and give him a smile, "H-Hi Murph" he stutters looking down blushing.

"Need a watch Murphy?" I hear Draco announce loudly as he snickers to his friends. Making Snape immediately turn and meet my gaze with a look that could have killed. 

'I'm so sorry professor, I lost track of time in the study hall today". 

"well in that case, I trust that you are going to know everything I'm about to teach today Miss Murphy, Snape say eyeing me down. I look down slightly embarrassed.

Why was Draco being this way suddenly, we were always civil and barely noticed each other, could he still be annoyed after our conversation last week in the great hall. 

 Hermione looks over at me, "can you believe Harry is competing in the Triwizard tournament" she whispers. "I worry for him" she says looking down.

"I'm just baffled on how his name even got in there", I whisper back.

"Bloody hell, not you too Murph, Ron whispers with an aggravated tone. "How else could it have gotten in there, he obviously did it and lied to us" Ron exclaims.

"That's just not like him" I say looking down.

Draco overhears this and whispers "really? Not unlike Potter to be in the centre of attention".

"Who even asked you?" I whisper back at him with a glare.

"it must have been some spell, to get that stupid cup to pick his name, it's definitely not because he is some kind of champion" Malfoy growls

"Jealousy is not a good look on you Malfoy I say sneering back.

"Murphy and Malfoy, perhaps you would like to stand outside for the rest of class, seeing as you don't need to learn today". Professor Snape announces loudly

"Professor she just won't stop bothering me" Draco replies innocently.

"Miss Murphy, it's not like you to be this disruptive, perhaps with all that studying you have decided you know better" Snape says.

I was speechless, I hated disappointing a teacher, teachers liked me, everyone likes me. This infuriated me.

"Sorry Professor" I say sternly, it won't happen again I say as I glare back at Draco. Draco smirked back like he had accomplished something.

I kept replaying Draco's stupid smirk on his stupid face, how he thought he had won, I couldn't let him get away with humiliating me in that class in front of Professor Snape. Why did I care so much, if it was anyone else, I wouldn't even waste my time, but it was Malfoy, ever since first year I never wanted to let him get to me, I couldn't allow him to get away with this.

It was the weekend again, after paying a visit to my house elf friends, I headed to the study hall, to get some homework done, hopefully Hermione would be there to help I thought. I arrive to find Malfoy and his friends there studying, he might have been a prick, but he was actually quite smart and annoyingly good at things. I didn't want to be any where near him, so I sat at a table with Neville and Seamus. Neville nervous around me as always manages to mutter a hello.

I liked making him nervous to be honest, I made it worse by sitting next to him and grabbing him into a hug. Before I knew it Malfoy and his mindless followers were walking over to us laughing mockingly. "ooohh looky here guys" he says condescendingly to his friends and he approaches us.

"Neville has got himself a girlfriend" he laughs mockingly.

"why are you jealous" I say opening my textbook.

"Jealous of what?" this sad excuse for a Gryffindor" Malfoy smirks.

"don't you dare talk about him like that" I growl back at him.

"I didn't realise your charity work with the house elves extended over to losers like Longbottom" Malfoy says maliciously.

"I'm warning you, you better turn around and leave" I threaten him.

"or what princess? No doubt your boyfriend can't protect you" he says patronisingly.

Neville looks down with glum expression. This triggered me and I whipped out my wand at Malfoy whispered. "Aguamenti".

This created a small splash of water against Malfoys crotch area, I then stand up and scream "omg Draco Malfoy peed himself" as I point at him.

Everyone in the study hall bursts out into laughter. Malfoy smug expression quickly turns into embarrassment as he storms out telling everyone to shut up. I wasn't proud of what I had done, but I wasn't going to let anyone speak to my friend that way, and besides I'm a Slytherin, I fight dirty.

The next morning, I take a seat in the great hall for breakfast, when Cherry and Anabelle sit next to me, "we heard what you did to Malfoy" Cherry says with a laugh.

"since when have you been into juvenile pranks" Anabelle asks.

"I admit I wasn't proud of it, but he had it coming, I don't why but this year he has started getting on my nerves" I said feeling annoyed.

"I can't let people think I'm weak and can allow him to get away with being a dick" I growl.

"hey, no need to explain yourself to us" Anabelle chuckles.

"but just so you know you have a reputation in this school, and I don't know if Malfoy is worth ruining your perfect image over" Cherry says concerningly.

She was right, I was known for being kind and charming, not playing childish games with one of the most hated people in school.

"I disagree, I think people will see her for the strong and tough witch that she is" Anabelle says. That was true as well, but I didn't want to keep engaging with Malfoy, something tells me he was capable of more than just childish games.