Chapter 46: Goodbye

30th of June 1997, the day that will go down in history, the day everything was going to change forever. Today was that day, it was the day Draco said the death eaters would come, I didn't know who or how many, or what would happen when they stepped foot in the school.

The first person I went to after the cabinet was fixed was of course Dumbledore, I had to warn him of this day so he would be prepared. As I sat anxiously waiting for Draco at the astronomy tower I thought back to my devastating conversation with Dumbledore.

He paced around his office nervously, I had never seen him so unhinged before as he was always so calm and collected. However, this time I could sense his urgency and desperation as he had realised, he was out of time.

He told me about the Horcruxes, which I couldn't begin to wrap my head around, and told me what Harry would need to do to defeat him, however he reluctantly told me a piece of information that was crucial to the final plan, a piece of information I had wished I didn't know.

That Harry was the final Horcrux.

I felt sick to my stomach as soon I heard this, as I realised what this meant.

"No, there has to be another way" I said choking up.

"Remember Murph, we have a far bigger goal here, we need to put a stop to him otherwise it's the end of the wizarding world, the end of countless lives" he said firmly

"Dumbledore, at what end do we justify all these sacrifices for the greater good" I asked him

"It must be done, and it needs to happen at the right moment" he explained

"Why did you tell me this?" I asked

"Because you are going to be the one to make sure he dies at the right moment, and only at the right moment, only when he is the last horcrux left, I told you, you have an important role to play in this war" he explained. My heart sank down in my chest, I felt almost like I would pass out. He was asking for too much, he couldn't expect me to do that, no, this can't be the plan he had for me this whole time.

"No! I won't do it" I screamed

"My dear you are not going to kill him, you are instead going to share this memory with him, and if I know Harry, he will go willingly" he said gravely. One life lost to save countless others I thought, does that make it okay? It made sense, of course it made perfect sense, Voldemort needed to die, and this was the only way.

I nodded reluctantly in agreement. My view of Dumbledore had changed in that moment, in world where both good and bad were grey, he was always good, nothing but good, but now he was just as grey and uncertain as everyone else involved in the war.

He looked at Harry as a Horcrux, as a final piece of a puzzle, not an innocent boy. However, that didn't make him bad either, because everything Dumbledore was willing to sacrifice, he was willing to for the future of all the other young wizards, purebloods, half bloods and muggle borns.

The most terrifying part of all of this was, that I was the crucial part to ensure harry ends all of this, which meant I needed to survive in this world, as a muggle born, whose identity will soon be erased. Like Malfoy said, I was so easy to overpower, and that was when he wasn't even trying.

"You have seriously made a mistake trusting me with this Professor" I said

"Why is that?" he asked

"I am not exceptional, I am not strong or brave or intelligent, my entire life has been faking it till I make it, and now you expect me to be final piece of this plan" I said firmly