12. Yeah, Right... (Casey)

We're lying in the tall, fragrant grass, completely hidden from the world around us. The streamlet is bickering nearby. Bees and butterflies fly above our heads. It's so quiet and peaceful that I dare not utter a word, afraid it would ruin this magical moment.

   The boy of my dreams is next to me. I feel so happy. His green eyes, his plump lips and cute dimples, his rapturous laughter, it's all imprinted like a picture in my mind. I relish in the realization that, if I turn my head, I'll see all of it right there. It's real. He's right next to me.

   I'm almost ready to believe that we can be together, that he truly wants it, that I, maybe, found love again and this time it won't bring me only unbearable pain... almost.

   I shake my head to chase away the memories, trying to sneak out from the deep, dark pit in which I've buried them.

   Nothing will ruin this day. For once I'll just be myself. I refuse to be afraid. Tomorrow doesn't exist.

   I feel a warm hand on mine and jump a little.

   "Sorry, I didn't want to startle you," Ave chuckles, peaking his head above me. "You were so quiet that I thought you've fallen asleep."

   "No, it's so peaceful," I smile, "that I just didn't feel like talking."

   "Mhm," he nods in understanding, "I also like 'not talking' with you."

   He can be so sweet and so different from what I've seen at the University.

   I start to wonder if it's the same person.

   The smug Avery, with his even more complacent friends, would never roll in the gras and 'not talk' with me.

   I stare at him and muse on this strange transformation when my stomach horridly growls. Deep red color immediately splashes on my face.

   "You're hungry," Avery giggles, "Why did you eat so little at breakfast."

   "I ate enough," I roll my eyes, "I didn't know that I'll participate in the race of the century and burn the calories that are usually enough for me to live for a week."

   Ave laughs harder and jumps on his feet.

   "Come on, it's time for lunch," he offers me his hand to help me stand up.

   I take it and when I'm up, his fingers intertwine with mine. He starts dragging me up the slope towards a small alley, winding between the trees.

   We're moving fast, aren't we. First 'bunny', then 'babe' and now we're already walking hand by hand. This boy doesn't waste his time. I don't mind it, but I wish I could tame a little the swirls of scarlet raging on my face.

   "Wait," I suddenly remember. "Mozart is gone. Shouldn't we find him first."

   "Oh," Ave waves his hand dismissively, "I know where the bugger is."

   It's a short walk down the alley which I spend by repeatedly peeking at my hand, comfortably nested in Ave's, just to make sure it's true. 

   We come out on the beach. It's a small, secluded one with only few people, relaxing on the white, glittering sand.

   In the distance I see a small restaurant with the tables only few feet from the water.

   It's a really picturesque one, accommodated in a small timber bungalow. The simple wooden tables and benches are scattered directly on the sand.

   The colorful tablecloths, printed in bright red poppies sway on the cool breeze.

   Sea-shell wind chimes dingle from the wooden pergola, covered with white canopy to shade the tables from the bright sun.

   There are only two customers, who are just getting ready to leave. They head towards us and I'm impressed by the couple. A tall, stunningly handsome guy with a gothic look is holding the hand of a cute, delicate, pink-haired Asian boy. They both smile at us. 

   But what amazes me the most is that our troublesome friend aka Mozart-the-wild-runner is obediently following them.

   "Hey, Ave," the tall guy beams, "did you lose him again?"

   "Yeah, as usual. It's good that he always comes here to beg for food," Avery huffs, rolling his eyes, "as if I don't spend a fortune to feed him."

   The cute boy starts to giggle, patting Mozart, who's now sitting, looking as innocent as an angel, on the head.

   "Sorry, this is Casey," Avery introduces us, "and these are Em and Sunny, my neighbors."

   We shake hands.

   "Sex in the wild, huh?" the handsome guy smirks, raising a brow at us, earning a slap on the hand by his companion.

   The red swirl on my face is immediately unleashed.

   "I wish," Avery grins, "but no, just walking the dog."

   "Yeah, right...," the smug boy clicks his tongue, "you guys are all disheveled and covered in gras stains." He leans towards me, gazing at my neck, "and this is definitely a hickey."

   What? I didn't see anything when showering this morning.

   I'm saved by the pink-haired cutie who grabs his laughing boyfriend's hand and drags him ahead, waving at us with an apologetic look.

   Avery's laughing his head off too. I glare at him in disapproval.

   "What?" he shrugs his shoulders. "Next time it might be true."

   "Let's eat," I only grumble, dashing to the tables with Mozart trotting in my steps.

___________________________________

A/N

Hello everyone who made it to Chapter 12.

Thank you so much for reading and supporting!

What do you like more, Casey's shyness or Avery's self-confidence?

I'll be happy to see your preferences.

Today I learned that some people read both 'Sugar' and 'Full Exclusive Rights', so here I've hidden a little Easter egg just to say 'Thank you'.

They'll know what I mean.😉

Share your thoughts, be free to express yourself and criticize.

And don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the story.

See you in the next chapter.

Love: Anny