33. Oops, Sorry! (Casey)

The elevator is moving too quickly for me to be happy.

   Despite my determination to behave decently, Ave managed to pin my back to the mirror wall and lure me into a steamy kiss which made my legs weak.

   We're still glued to each other when the doors open. I immediately hear a startled gasp and something heavy, crushing on the floor. 

   Ave finally takes his tongue out of my throat and I peek over his shoulder. 

   A tiny, young woman in a navy blue, business suit is gazing openmouthed at us. Her brown eyes look enormous through the thick glasses, covering most of her face. A bunch of colorful file folders are scattered at her feet and sheets of paper are covering the floor around her.

   I throw myself to gather the documents, muttering apologies. Before the girl can react, an angry voice comes from somewhere behind her.

   "What was that noise? Don't tell me that you dropped the files. It took the whole morning to sort them. What an idiot won't be able to take few folders from one office to the other, without making a total mess. I really start wondering why I still keep you as a secreta..." 

   The shouting woman stops in the middle of the sentence, producing a startled shriek. Two black shoes with impossibly high heels almost step on my fingers, as I'm still on my knees on the floor, collecting the sheets.

   "I... I'm so sorr..., " the tiny girl starts stuttering, but is abruptly interrupted.

   "Shut up! Get lost!" the angry woman hisses.

   The girl pulls the sheets from my hand and, grabbing as much folders as she can, almost runs to the closest desk, hiding behind a large monitor.

   Before I manage to get up, cold fingers with long, blood red manicure, slide under my chin and draw me up to my feet. I end up face to face with a female, slightly older copy of Avery with prominent frown on her face. Her eyes are narrowed to thin slits, emerald waves of annoyance spilling through them.

   "Well, well, well, and if this isn't my brother's new, nerdy, boy toy!" she spits out. 

   I'm speechless. This woman scares the shit out of me. I almost imagine her pointed nails, scratching my eyes. I'm definitely ready to head for the hills, and I don't give a fuck if anyone calls me a coward.

   I'm saved by a hard slap on her hand by Avery, who protectively pulls me by his side, glaring daggers at her.

   "Behave, Ebony," he says through gritted teeth. "I already know what a nice person you are. Don't need more proof."

   Ebony raises a brow at him and purses her lips, but decides to be civil. 

   "To what I owe the pleasure of seeing you in my office today?" she asks sarcastically.

   "I just wanted you to meet my boyfriend," Ave answers with falsely cheerful voice. "This is Casey."

   I admire his boldness. If it wasn't for him, I'd be out of here long ago. I gather all my courage and stretch out a shaking hand to her, muttering, "Nice to meet you!"

   Ebony only snorts and waves us to a glass-enclosed office to our left, without taking my hand.

   "Maya," she yells to the big monitor on the desk nearby. Her secretary hesitantly peeks from behind it. "Bring coffee and sweets to my office and sort all the documentation again after that. You'll be searching for a new job, if they're not in HR by five."

   I feel so sorry for the poor girl that I'm ready to offer her some help. Ebony, however, heads with a regal posture to her office, so we have no choice but to follow her.

   "Just a coffee and we're out of here," Ave whispers in my ear. "You'll never have to see her again. Until the wedding, I mean. I promise." 

   He winks at me and I snort in an attempt not to laugh out. This eases some of my tension and I step into the piranha aquarium with more confidence.

   We're sipping coffee, sitting on the two sides of a large mahogany desk, staring  at each other, in an awkward silence. 

   Avery is fidgeting in his chair for some time, with uneasiness, written on his face. 

   Ebony's phone rings and I use the moment to whisper, "What is it? Are you alright?"

   "I have to pee. It's really urgent," he whispers back.

  "Why don't you go then?" I raise a brow. 

   "And leave you here alone! No way!"

   "Are you crazy? Go! I'll be fine," I push him lightly to get up. What can happen for few minutes? She'll probably be still speaking on the phone when he comes back.

   The moment Ave steps out of the door, his sister hangs up and pins her eyes into mine.

   "So, little angel," she starts tsking and shaking her head. "You're not fooling me, you know. Avery may be deceived by these big, blue eyes, but I'm not as stupid as him."

   I'm downright startled and give her a look of complete incomprehension.

   "Oh, don't play it dumb!" she hisses. "Don't tell me you didn't know that Avery is a billionaire, or will be soon, at least. You must have given some damn good blow jobs to be proclaimed a boyfriend."

   I jump up, utterly outraged by this blunt insult. 

   She's sneering wickedly when Ave appears at the door.

   "What's going on here?" he barks, seeing me as pale as a ghost, his face thunderous.

   "Nothing! We're leaving," I retort, stepping towards the desk to place back my cup.

  My foot gets entangled in a cable, stretched across the floor, and I stagger ahead, splashing the coffee on Ebony's snow white shirt.

   "Oops, sorry!" Ave smirks, grabbing my hand and pulling me out of the wasp's nest.

___________________________________

Photo by fabio.tsu from Pexels

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of Chapter 33.

Thank you so much for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

So, sweet Casey survived the meeting with the sister. 😜

What are your impressions? Will they ever be able to get along?

Share your thoughts. I'll be happy to learn what you liked and what you didn't. 🥰

Don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

It's the best reward an author can gain.

See you in the next chapter.

Love: Anny