23. Something's Off (Casey)

We're finally all sitting in a nice Italian restaurant.

   It's so packed with people that we couldn't find a table for six.

   As expected, I was the one that was not given the opportunity to sit on my own chair. We share it with Dahlia or, more precisely, she's sitting on my left thigh, complaining that I'm too skinny and it's not comfortable.

   Summer and Emmy claimed that they need to sit alone because of their 'injuries', as if it was our fault. Lilly can't be bothered about such things in general.

   Avery tried to convince me to sit on his lap which, I told him, was going to happen only over my dead body.

   So, we ended up together with the ginger pouter.

   Ave obviously passed some wicked acceptance test with honors because the girls are now sweetly smiling at him and showing all kinds of affection.

   The table is overflowing with food. They can't order only what they need, as with everything else, and piles of pizza slices, smoothies, salads and numerous types of cakes and ice cream, make it almost impossible to eat normally, without dipping your sleeve in somebody else's plate.

   Suddenly, Avery's fork falls on the floor with loud clanks. He immediately throws himself under the table to retrieve it, somehow too eagerly. 

   I'm puzzled. He could simply ask the waitress to give him a new one. 

   He's definitely taking his time down there.

   I shrug my shoulders, deciding to let it go when my gaze accidently goes to the spot behind his chair.

   A young couple in their mid-thirties walks between the tables on their way out.

   The woman's appearance catches my eye. There's something in her stunning beauty that strikes me. I can't put my finger on what precisely it is at first, but then I realize that it's her eyes.

   They're big, green and exactly the same as ... Ave's.

   Her long, pitch-black hair is waving down to her waist in gorgeous curls, swinging lightly while she's speaking to the man, gesturing with her hands and laughing loudly.

   The man pecks her lips, right before they leave the restaurant area, separated from the central promenade by colorful flower pots.

   I can't help but feel that something's terribly off. My heart painfully shrinks.

   Is Avery hiding from this woman?

   I shake my head. Why would he do that? And why does it have anything to do with me?

   I peek at Lilly. She's watching Ave's butt, which is the only visible part of him at this moment, with a raised brow and a prominent scowl.

   So, I'm not imagining things. She noticed it too.

   Oh, Dear! Knowing her so well, now I'm afraid she'll make a scene. I start praying for her to just let it go. 

   I hate public confrontations. I've been involved in such too often because of her temper.

   Avery finally emerges from under the table with the fork in his hand, instantly met by Lilly's abrupt question.

   "Why are you making a fool of yourself, crawling under the table? Couldn't you just ask for a new fork?" Her eyes are drilling a hole in his flushed face, waiting for him to dig his own grave.

   I notice the subtle glimpse he throws from the corner of his eyes to the spot where the couple was standing. His body visibly relaxes when he sees that they're gone.

   "How silly of me," he beams at Lilly and waves at the waitress. "As if I'm going to use it when it's been on the floor."

   Lilly narrows her eyes suspiciously, pursing her lips, "Were you hiding from someone?"

   My heart drops in my stomach. I toss a pleading look at her. I know this expression. She's ready to bite. I'm so thankful that the other three are too busy to complain to perceive the situation and make it even more awkward.

   "No! Why would I do that?" Ave squeaks too loudly.

   He's definitely lying. And I'll definitely faint. 

   My face must look really desperate because Lilly decides not to dig into this and artificially laughs, "Yeah, how silly! Why would you!"

   Avery grabs the newly fetched fork and stuffs his mouth with strawberry cake to the brim.

   I do the same with chocolate ice cream, wincing at the freezing of half of my head and earning a harsh slap on the hand by Dahlia whose hair I've adorned with a nice splotch of caramel drizzle.

   "Do you want to stay over tonight?" Avery asks hopefully, holding my hand.

   We're in the underground parking of the mall, having finally finished shopping, eating and making complete fools of ourselves.

   "No, sorry, tomorrow we have lectures and I need to go home," I mutter with my eyes, fixed on the floor.

   "I can pick you up in the morning," he offers.

   "I always drive him to school," Summer butts in, leaving no place for arguing.

   "Ok, I'll see you at school then," Ave huffs and leans to kiss me.

   I return the kiss, but not as eager as I'd like.

   He heads to his car with puzzled expression.

   I sink between Lilly and Dahlia on the back seat of Summer's car.

   We're all silent on the way to my apartment. My gloomy face stops the girls from the usual chatter and teasing.

   I don't know exactly why, but something in my chest shrinks and expands painfully and I'm on the verge of crying.

   Lilly is smart enough to restrain herself to only gently squeezing my hand.

   Something is definitely terribly off.

___________________________________

Photo by Francesca Zama from Pexels

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of Chapter 23.

Thank you so much for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

I'm sorry! I know you're disappointed at this turn of the events. 

But you saw it coming, didn't you? It was too good to be true. 😉

Who do you think the green-eyed woman was?

Don't forget to vote if you liked the story.

It's the best reward an author can gain.

See you in the next chapter.

Love: Anny