48. Summer Sunset (Casey)

I and Ave are gazing at the big monitor where a blue line is moving unnervingly slowly, indicating that the calculations are almost done, but never reaching the end.

   "Did you really have to test it on the whole data base? We could just excerpt a sample," he whines. "My ass is hurting. This chair is not comfortable. You only said thirty minutes and we've been sitting here for two hours."

   "Shhh," I squeeze his knee. "Have a little more patience. You're right about the chairs, though. We need to buy new ones. These are as hard as stone."

   "I should introduce you to grandpa. He'll fall in love with you," Ave keeps muttering. "Absolute workaholics!"

   "I thought he has retired and lives the good life on a Greek island of his own," I note. "But we can discuss the meeting with your parents, if you want. Next weekend sounds perfect."

  "Not before a heart attack and two bypasses," Avery retorts. "As for the sweet family gathering, two ruined weekends in a row are out of question. Also, have in mind that you'll be the one cleaning, If Mozart takes a pee on the carpet. We should be walking him right now."

   A quiet beep shows that the test is finally finished. The results start listing on the screen. 

  "Yes!" I scream. "I told you! Ave, did you see that? Five milliseconds less than the projection. This means that we don't need the additional server and can cover ten percent bigger area than initially planned. This will be a total blast."

   I jump from my chair and flop on Avery's lap. He's still pouting, but can't remain indifferent at this howling success. 

   "I'm still mad about you working at home," he grumbles, "but what you did is amazing."

   "Thank you, boss!" I grin. "Do I get a kiss?"

   "Come here, genius bunny," Ave chuckles and grabs my butt. "I'll give you a big, juicy bonus." 

   He starts kissing all over my face, avoiding my lips, while I'm giggling and trying to press my mouth to his. I'm ready to start complaining about his teasing when my phone dings.

   "Oh, my God!" Ave gasps. "Since when did you become so popular?"

   "Since you hired me to work in your company," I answer.

   "I've created a monster," he sigs. "Is this Smiley again? I'll fire him, I swear. And your phone goes to Mozart. He'll take care that the damn thing never makes a sound again."

   "Scaaary," I stick my tongue out at him and peek at the phone. "Shit! It's eleven. I have to be at this restaurant at twelve. Ebony is sending me the address." I show him the screen. "Do you know where this is? Can you give me a ride? I'm going to be late. What do you think I should wear?"

   "Bunny, don't freak out. Just put on a pair of jeans and a shirt," Ave starts rubbing my back, hugging me tighter instead of letting me get up. "I'll drive you there and will wait for you in the car. This way, you can leave any time, if she makes you feel uncomfortable."

   "Don't you think this is too much?" I shake my head. "I'm not a child. It's just a quick lunch. She's not that bad, right?"

   Avery's silence is not reassuring at all.

   I barely manage to arrive on time but, after all, appear in front of the restaurant at twelve sharp, dressed in a pair of slim fit, navy blue, formal trousers and a burgundy shirt. Ave said that I was overdoing it, but took a picture because I was 'so hot that could cause a global warming'.

   I'm more than happy that I decided to put on something fancier. This is no ordinary restaurant. I can tell it's top-of-the-range even before I have entered. It occupies the entire first floor of a ten-storey, luxurious hotel in the very center of the city. A hostess rushes towards me the second I squeeze through the heavy, glass door. 

   "Welcome to Starfish, Sir!" she beams. "May I ask if you have a reservation?"

   "I... I guess...," I stutter, startled by the 'sir' title and realizing that I don't actually know Ebony's last name which she probably gave for the booking. My face is growing increasingly hot and, to be honest, the idea to beat a retreat is not foreign to me at all.

   "Casey, honey," I hear the familiar scary voice and see Ebony approaching with a big grin. Her heels are even higher than before and blood red this time. I can't deny that she looks fabulous in her tiny, black dress which leaves nothing to the imagination, but is extremely stylish at the same time. She wraps an arm around my waist and waves the hostess away with her usual majestic manner. 

   "Let me offer you a cocktail before lunch," she chirps, pulling me towards an impressive mahogany bar on the opposite side of the hall. "It's called 'Summer Sunset', my favorite. I tipped the bartender a secret ingredient that makes it a banger. We'll have so much fun!"

   We settle on the vintage, buttoned, leather stools. Two glasses, full of something in iridescent red and orange, are waiting for us on the counter. Ebony takes one and raises it, "For the first day of a beautiful friendship!"

   I would really like to know what's in this drink, but am too stunned to ask. Seeing my hesitation, she pats me on the shoulder and says, "Oh, it's light, just a little bit of Campari, cranberry juice and some orange. I'm sure you'll love it."

   "Thank you!" I finally manage to blurt and take a sip.

___________________________________

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of Chapter 48!

Thank you so much for reading and supporting!

The test of Casey's improvement on the software was a howling success. 😀

Do you think the lunch will be just as successful?

Share your thoughts, be free to express yourself and criticize, if you feel it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the story.

See you in next chapter.

Love: Anny