63. Falling from Grace (Casey)

[trigger warning - very intense events and mild homophobic comments (which I hate)]

   💖 Love is love 💖

   I bolt down half the contents of the glass in my hand in one big gulp, without even remembering how it got there. The cool wine is good, but it can't make the lump in my throat go away. I barely breathe, keeping my gaze on the TV screen. A cheerful lady in a bright red, mini skirt suit is adjusting her microphone at the entrance of a large press conference room. People are going in and out while the camera is focused on the long table behind her. There is no one else sitting around it except Ebony's husband who is sporting an expensive, navy blue suit and a wicked smirk.

   "Hello!" the reporter finally starts with a radiant smile. "Your favorite television, BNGT, is the first to be live at the scene of an unexpected and very curious event, ready to give you the exclusive details, as always. Global Power, one of the two biggest software companies on the local market is about to give an unplanned press release. They will introduce their new executive director, Mr. Robert Doyle who became a controversial public personality after his scandalous breakup with their main competitor Minutes to Seconds, well-known as the MTS."

   "Oh, how wonderful!" Mae exclaims, looking proudly at Ebony. "Congratulations, dear! Robby is such a fine man!"

   Avery snorts next to me and pulls the glass out of my hand. I slowly stand up. My mouth is dry. I can feel the blood freezing in my veins. 

   The reporter continues energetically, "We may witness an incredible breakthrough in information technology. Mr. Doyle shared exclusively for BNGT that Global Power's newest invention will make, as he put it, 'the world faster and every software more precise than ever before'. According to unofficial, internal sources, Global Power has managed to beat MTS in their own game, coming up with a new application only a day earlier than their rivals."

   "What the fuck?" Ave growls and chugs the rest of my wine.

   "Avery!" Mae glares at him. "No need to be vulgar. You can for once be happy for your sister husband's achievements after everything you did to push him out of the company. Robert is a brilliant young man. I do not understand what is the reason for your unhealthy desire to compete with him constantly. Sometimes, we just need to accept that there are talented people, other than us."

   "Tell him, mom!" Ebony giggles. "Robby has always been so nice to him."

   I barely register what is happening around me. It feels as if I'm in a nightmare. Maybe, if I pinch myself really hard, I'll just wake up. I'm staring at the screen without blinking. It all comes back to me now. 

   Smiley messaged me his part of the key. It was ok, because there was no danger. It is a complicated one. Twelve people have personal passwords. The data base can be accessed only when we insert them at the same time. Two of the passwords are being changed automatically every day at three p.m. and the system sends the new codes to my and Ave's phones. Smiley is the only person who knows ten of the passwords in case someone gets sick. He still doesn't know ours. He sent them to me. I already had mine and took Ave's phone to message the last one to myself. 

   Because I am an idiot! 

   Oh, my dearest God! I suddenly feel nauseous. What a complete blockhead I must be! The entire key was in my phone, the one I left on the table while throwing up in the restaurant's rest room, poisoned by Ebony's cocktail. It can still be activated only by four zeros, despite Ave's constant whining that I should protect it better. 

   Oh my God! How can I blame her? There is no one else to blame but me. Avery will curse the day he met me. His grandfather's company, his own amazing accomplishment, the stellar team of developers, Maya, Smiley, even Lilly, all ruined by a stupid, naive nerd. Years and years of hard work will be gone with the wind, just because I am a stubborn, deluded dumbass. 

   I hear Ebony's quiet snigger and Ave's heavy breathing. My head is spinning. I feel as if I'm about to faint. This can't get any worse, can it?

   "We are all wondering how the favorite grandson of the respected business tycoon, Mr. Ivan Ivanoff," the voice of the reporter captures my attention again, "the brilliant, young prodigy Avery Ivanoff could let this happen. Well, our confidential sources confirmed that one of the most eligible bachelors might have other priorities at the moment in the form of a blond, blue-eyed boyfriend. The rumor that the handsome heir to the MTS empire is gay, was finally confirmed to the great disappointment of many young ladies. The lovely couple even started working together..."

   The crash of wood and glass on the stone pavement takes me out of the daze. So, it could get worse after all. Philip's broken chair has fallen back. The pieces of his shattered glass are scattered at his feet. He is as red as a lobster. His eyes are  pinned on Ave menacingly.

   "I knew it!" he screams and slams his fist on the table, making the cutlery rattle. "I knew that one day you will ruin my reputation with your wild behavior. Did I have to hear this on National Television? Couldn't you keep it in your pants at least in public?"

   Philip reaches out to grab his son by the shirt, but Ave jumps aside and hisses, "I hope both you and mom finally got it. I've been repeating this since I came here." He pulls me by his side and shouts to the top of his lungs, "CASEY IS MY BOYFRIEND. I AM IN LOVE WITH HIM. I WILL ASK HIM TO MARRY ME BECAUSE I LOVE HIM!"

   Mae screams and swings, heavily leaning on Philip who starts fanning her with his hand, "Are you trying to kill your mother? You don't need to yell. It's not something to be so proud of."

   I can barely stand on my feet. Robert is explaining eagerly on the TV the benefits that my algorithm can bring to the efficiency of any traffic management application. My brain is trying unsuccessfully to focus and remember something very important that Avery just said, but all I can think about is how I ruined my boyfriend's life.

   My work, our efforts, Ave's success were stolen. 

   Ave's family business is put at risk.

   All because of me.

   All because I was so fucken stupid!

   There's no way out of this.

   There's no way back.

   Avery will never forgive me when he realizes what I have done.

   I would never survive seeing the resentment in his eyes 

   I better leave on my own, before being asked to do it.

   With this thought, I turn around and run as far away as I can from these people, from this house, from my own falling from grace.

______________________________________

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of Chapter 63!

Thank you so much for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

I am so sorry about this awful experience you had to witness. 

Help is coming, drama is almost over and only two chapters to go.

Any theories how or who 😉 can resolve this?

Share your thoughts, be free to express yourself and criticize, if you feel it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the story.

See you in next chapter.

Love: Anny