34. The Queen Bee (Casey)

Phew! We're back in the elevator and I won't lie, saying that I feel, as if a ton of bricks was lifted off my shoulders.

   I'm sorry to think this way about Ave's sister, but the woman is toxic. I fully understand now why he avoided her. 

   I can't believe that she called me a gold digger. I didn't even know that Ave was rich. It was obvious that he had a big house and no cash issues, but I never gave it a second thought.

   Me, seducing someone because of his money! It's so absurd that I start to giggle.

   Avery and Maya, who managed to slip into the cabin through the closing doors at the last possible moment, are looking at me puzzled.

   "Oh, it's just something Ebony said," I grin, adjusting the folders in my hands, which are too many to hold comfortably, although, Ave took half of them. I don't see how this petite girl would've been able to carry them all, despite her brave efforts.

   "What did she say?" Ave frowns.

   "Sorry, it's too indecent to repeat it in the presence of a lady," I chuckle, feeling my cheeks getting hot. "But, honestly, I'm more amused, than offended. In fact, I'm even slightly flattered."

   "Oh, my God! I can only imagine what it was," Ave gasps.

   Maya giggles softly and mumbles under her breath, "Words like daggers. The worst part is that I kind of got used to that."

   We both look at her. Her face is glowing in bright red.

   "Sorry!" she adds nervously, sending a remorseful glance to Avery. "I didn't want to sound disrespectful."

   "Don't worry," Ave smiles reassuringly. "I know my sister too well. Why are you putting up with all this? I'm sure you can find a better job. If you've managed to be Ebony's secretary for so long, then you can do anything."

   "Well, she'll never let me transfer to another department, but I don't want to leave this place. This is the best software company a person can work for. I guess, I'm just waiting for my chance," she shrugs her shoulders and pins her eyes to the floor.

   "What would you like to do?" I ask.

   "Mmm, my dream is...," she's hesitant, but I encourage her with a wide smile, so she continues, "I'm actually a software engineer. I've just graduated, though, so I don't have much experience, but development department would be my ultimate goal... some day." 

   She's nervously fidgeting in her place, but finally gathers some courage and peeks at Avery with sparkling eyes, which look like the ones of a happy child through the thick lenses of her glasses. 

   "Mr. Ivanoff, can I just say how much I admire you. It's unbelievable that you developed 'MTS', being only nineteen years old. I don't think anyone, living in this city, can imagine their life without it anymore." 

   My eyes go wide. 

   "You developed 'MTS'!" I shriek in utter shock. My boyfriend is an IT genius billionaire. I think, I'm going to faint.

   "Guys, stop making such a fuss about it," Ave rolls his eyes dismissively. "I didn't develop it myself. I just got the idea and grandpa decided to explore it. It took a year of work for a team of twenty people to come up with the final result. The negotiations with the Municipality to sign the contract were more than rough. It was entirely his accomplishment, not to mention the agreement with the Chinese company for the production of the devices."

   He beams at Maya, "And no more Mr. Ivanoff, please. Just call me Ave."

   The girl's face is so red, that I start worrying it will catch fire any moment. I didn't even suspect that people might exist, who can blush worse than me.

   I don't believe my ears!

   When the 'Minutes to Seconds' project was introduced, it entirely changed the traffic and solved one of the biggest problems for the people with cars in the city - where to park. 

   You simply receive a device and, for an insignificant monthly subscription, it connects to your GPS and gives you the exact coordinates of a free parking space near your final destination within fifteen seconds. Somehow the software is able to coordinate all the cars within the area and arrange the requests, so that there's no overlap. 

   The devices were given for free to everyone, owning a car, with the subscription being deductible from taxes. It was actually the main reason the mayor was elected for another four-year term. Many other cities lunched the project too.

   I'm still gazing at Avery, as if he's just grown a second head, when the elevator stops at the fifteenth floor. 

   We enter a vast, open area with walls, made of glass. It feels like we're floating in the sky.

   Enormous pots of Peace Lilies, blooming in white, dracaena and Swiss cheese plants are scattered here and there, with red, two seater sofas between them. 

   All the working desks are in the middle of the hall, arranged in a large circle, with all kinds of computer equipment in the middle. They are more that thirty.

   "Wait, give me the files. I need to go to HR," Maya says, but Avery nods to her to follow him.

   "We'll go together later," he smirks. "I thought you dreamed of being in the development."

   The moment we step out of the elevator, people jump up from their chairs and rush to us with loud greetings and shining faces.

   Avery is surrounded in seconds, suffocated by friendly embraces and taps on the back.

   We all move to the central area, with him in the middle of the crowd, like The Queen Bee, gathering her hive.

___________________________________

Photo by Philipp Birmes from Pexels

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of Chapter 34.

Thank you so much for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

Did you like these new details about Avery and his company? 

Share your thoughts, be free to express yourself and criticize, if you think it's necessary. 🥰

Don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

It's the best reward an author can gain.

See you in the next chapter.

Love: Anny