32. The Wasp's Nest (Casey)

I'm grinning from ear to ear as if I've just won the lottery jackpot. 

   There's no way to tame this raging smile, despite my best efforts. My jaw even hurts a little, but I just can't stop.

   We're walking towards an impressive, fifteen storey, office building of steel and glass. 

   Avery is holding my hand. 

   He's doing not only this, but also many other things, like stopping, at every second step, to place a wet kiss on my cheek, lips or nose, trying to sneak his arm round my waist or whispering things in my ear that are all but decent.

   He's also carrying my backpack, which I totally don't approve, but Avery is adamant.

   "I'm your boyfriend," he states. "It's my job to carry your stuff."

   "I've never heard of such a rule," I roll my eyes. "I'm your boyfriend too. So, I have to carry your stuff too."

   Avery tosses a sly look at me and smirks, "You have other duties, naughty bunny. I dare say, that you take them very seriously, for which I cannot help but praise you from all of my heart."

   We stop at the main entrance and I become a little hesitant.

   "What's the matter, babe?" Ave raises a brow. "We can do this some other time, if you feel nervous."

   "No, we're doing it now," I quickly blurt, before chickening out. "So, this is your company?"

   "No, not mine yet, but will be soon," Ave proudly states, but frowns immediately after that. "That is, if my insane sister doesn't find a way to assassin me, or steal my inheritance."

   "Why does she hate you so much?" I mutter. "Is it because of the money?"

   "No, babe. She has enough money to spend her life on any tropical beach she wants, together with her sleek husband," Avery laughs humorlessly. "Grandfather took care of that. She just can't come to terms with the fact that I don't pretend that her precious Robert is not a crook."

   "I don't want to create even more arguments," I mumble. "If she's so annoyed by everything about you, I doubt she'll be happy to see me."

   Avery grabs my shoulders and turns me to look at his face. 

   "Bunny, listen to me," he says intently. "This is my company. She only works here. I don't care what she thinks. She's lost that privilege a long time ago. I want you to meet my team and show you around. If she's not ok with that, it's not our problem."

   I nod, still not sure about it.

   "Whatever she says," he continues, "don't take it personally.  Promise me that you won't be upset by her bullshit."

   "I promise," I smile shakily. "She might decide to be nice. I'm cute."

   "You're the cutest bunny in the world," Ave grins. "But I don't think it'll help to improve her character. Let's go! Don't worry!"

   He grabs my hand and pulls me inside. 

   The lobby is vast and tall, all in black marble and leather. The shiny walls contrast with the white sofas and armchairs, scattered here and there. There's a big reception desk on the opposite side.

   A tall, beautiful, blond woman jumps up, upon our entry, and scurries towards us.

   "Mr. Ivanoff, what a pleasure to see you! You haven't visited the office lately."

   She cordially shakes Ave's hand and turns to me with a friendly smile.

   "Hello, my name is Elena. Nice to meet you."

  "Casey," I mutter, not sure how exactly to present myself. 

   Avery quickly resolves my difficulty by adding, "This is my boyfriend."

   "Oh," Elena immediately beams. "I'm so happy to hear this. It was high time."

   I feel the blush, spreading on my cheeks, and pin my eyes to the floor.

   "I'm sorry!" the lady quickly blurts. "I didn't want to make you uncomfortable. It's just that I know Mr. Ivanoff since he was five and, sometimes, I take the liberty to speak too bluntly." 

   "No, it's ok," I shake my head. She's so nice and openhearted that I quickly relax and smile at her.

   "Are you going to drop by the fifth floor or you're heading directly to the development department?" she asks.

   "Hmm," Ave scratches his nose. "I think we'll step in the wasp's nest first."

   Elena chuckles and raises her brow, "I assume, you don't want me to announce your arrival."

   "Are you kidding me," Avery smirks, "and lose the advantage of surprise."

   "Good luck, gentlemen!" the nice lady nods, slightly squeezing my hand. "It was a pleasure meeting you Casey. I hope you both won't mind me saying that you're a charming couple."

   With that the lady goes back to her desk and we head to the elevator.

   The wasp's nest! Oh, Dear! I hope, I won't feel the sting too quickly.

   "Babe," Ave snakes his arm round my waist when we enter the cabin, "don't you think that there's something very sexy about the elevators, especially when they're all lined in mirrors?"

   "No way," I glare at him. "Don't even think about it."

___________________________________

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of Chapter 32.

Thank you so much for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

How do you think the meeting between Casey and Ebony will go? 🤔

Share your thoughts. I'll be happy to learn what you liked and what you didn't. 🥰

Don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

It's the best reward an author can gain.

See you in the next chapter.

Love: Anny