58. Sex on The Beach on Thursday (Ave)

I hate pretentious, expensive restaurants, unlike my dear sister. She would live in one, if she didn't have to go home three times a day to change her dashing outfits. I'm sure that at least three fashion boutiques in the city will prosper thanks to her, even if they lose all their other customers. 

   I'm so mad! She crossed all possible lines this time. Poisoning anyone is a crime, but if you do it to my bunny, you're directly into the deepest shit up to the chin. I didn't have her immediately arrested only because she was still my sister. She's making a big mistake, though, if she thinks she can get away with it. I'll make her regret her own stupidity for the rest of her life. 

   I asked doctor George to make full blood tests. He said there were traces of latex, naproxen and something that could be found in the yellowjacket's venom. The combination was made to assure a reaction even by someone who had no pronounced allergies. I questioned the bartender as well. He confirmed that Ebony had ordered the drinks ten minutes before Casey arrived. She had enough time to mess with them. I decided to let him think it was a stomach flue and some random food allergy because I didn't want him to worry, but I'm so done with her. I called grandpa and made him promise that she'd be out of the company not later than next week. The security will be instructed that she and Robert are not allowed to enter the building. I'm also having a restraining order issued against her to stay away from Casey. I've always known that she's unscrupulous, but I didn't expect her to go that far.

   "Ave, stop frowning," Casey hisses in my ear. "You look like a storm cloud. Maya is nervous anyway and Smiley is as stiff as a board. This is turning into a fiasco. Do something!"

   "What did you expect?" I whisper back. "This white tablecloth is giving me chills. I've been worrying the whole evening not to stain it. We should have ordered white wine. At least a drop on the table won't look like a splotch of blood. Why the hell did you let Smiley chose the restaurant?"

   "Dah, because he's the one who has to impress the girl," Casey rolls his eyes.

   "Very impressive," I snort, "talking about work the whole evening with a facial expression as if he's constipated."

   "Oh gosh," Casey giggles, trying to hide it behind his palm. "That's why you have to do something." 

   "Aaaah," I sigh dramatically. "What would you all do without me?"

   "We would never find true love," Casey mumbles and I'm instantly a puddle on the floor.

   "Get up ya'll," I jump enthusiastically. "Bunny, call Danny to reserve some sits for us at the bar. I'm taking you clubbing."

   "Nooo," Casey shrieks fearfully, making half the restaurant turn to us. 

   "Oh, yeah," I grin. Maya and Smiley stand up obediently, careful not to look at each other. These two could definitely use a few drinks. No vodka, though! I'm done saving people from being arrested and chasing drunk girls in the park. In any case there's no way we stay here for another minute either, so I'll take the risk with a cocktail or two.

   "Ave! Bunny!" Danny yells to the top of his lungs upon seeing us emerge from the thick crowd around the bar. Casey immediately glares at him. The bartender is unfazed and lines five hurricane glasses on the plot, filling them with liquid in iridescent shades of red, orange and yellow.

   "It's already Thursday," Smiley announces, looking at his phone screen. "Only a drink and I'm heading home. I have to get up at five in the morning."

   His statement finally wakes up some courage in Maya and she grabs a glass. "Sex on the beach! My favorite cocktail!" Saying that, she downs half of the content and beams at my stunned friend.

   I don't give him time to brace himself and ask, "What the hell are you going to do at five in the morning?" He's highly suspicious lately, always whispering something on the phone, hidden in the corners.

   "I... mmm... I..." despite the dim light, I can see that his face is scarlet. After some stuttering, he blurts, "I'm going to walk the dog."

   "What dog?" Casey squeals. "You don't have a dog!"

   "My cousin's dog," Smiley states, leaving no doubt in any of us that he is lying. 

   I am ready to grill him with no mercy until he spills the beans, but Maya who has already emptied her glass, grabs his hand and starts pulling him to the exit, "Come on, you need some sleep. I'll help you walk the dog in the morning."

   We all watch them disappearing with our mouths agape.

   "What is in this cocktail?" Casey mumbles incredulously.

   "Oh, mostly vodka, peach schnapps and few other shit," Danny shrugs his shoulders.

   I'm not surprised that I and my bunny are meeting the sunrise on the beach in few hours, definitely not after drinking cocktails here.

___________________________________

Photo 155790819 © Chernetskaya | Dreamstime.com

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of Chapter 58!

Thank you so much for reading and supporting! ❤

Any theories why Smiley is so secretive? 🤔

Share your thoughts, be free to express yourself and criticize, if you feel it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the story.

See you in next chapter.

Love: Anny