He's My Best Friend

A/N: Now, previously someone left a comment asking if I was American due to certain words I have used. Yes - I am from the USA. I try my hardest to find the correct jargon but sometimes it can be hard so I use what I am familiar with. I'm sorry if this upsets anyone, I will try harder in the future.

Disclaimer: I only own Aurora and any other OC's. Remember, I will occasionally use quotes from both the books or movie, depending on the scene; I do not own direct quotes or phrases.

~ oOo ~

Everything around the woman seemed to be working against her senses. The swishing from the Black Lake against the windows wasn't there; the smell of antiseptic instead of herbs was strong. Aurora fought in opening her eyes. She fidgeted and squirmed, disturbed knowing she was lonely in her bed as Severus wasn't by her side. Groaning, she finally managed to open her eyes, squinting into the dark as she did so. Except, it wasn't as dark as she assumed, nor was it as light as she expected. Eyelids cracking open slow at first, they then widened when she realized she wasn't in her room at all. Aurora was laying in the Hospital Wing.

She was nowhere close to laying in her bed down in the dungeons.

Groggily, Aurora pushed herself against the bed, moving into a sitting position as she glanced around the room. Rubbing the sleep from her face, she watched through the windows, noticing it was pitch black outside, the room illuminated only by dim light from the fireplace and several lamps here and there.

SQUEE!

MEOW!

Bombarded by two individuals covered in fur and scales, Aurora managed to release a squeal of laughter as Sapphire and Merlin pounced onto her chest. Excited to see their mother, they furiously licked and prodded her face with kisses, causing the woman to fall back against the mattress.

Quick footsteps raced against the stone flooring. As her pets were removed from her stomach, Aurora stole a glance upward to see it was Severus, who was failing in holding Sapphire and Merlin who squirmed in his arms. Trying to sit up again, Aurora smiled, loving the way her pets wanted nothing more than to be in her arms.

"It seems you're finally awake."

Shuddering to hear the voice was from none other than Severus, Aurora tensed. Outstretching her arms, he gave her the creatures, both having calmed down; one curled on her lap while the other snuggled against her leg. Breathing deeply, Aurora rubbed her face again, stealing a look between her fingers to see the Potions Master dragged a chair over, taking a seat by her side. As he stared long and hard, Aurora didn't say anything. Knowing the look currently plastered on Severus' face was the same he reserved for his students.

When she still didn't say anything, Severus sighed, hard. "You're such a dunderhead," he muttered loudly, rubbing his temple.

"I wake up in the Hospital Wing and that's all you can say?" She was truly confused. Was there something she was missing? What had she done to be called a dunderhead?

Severus growled. "What else do you expect me to say?"

Already? Aurora thought. I just woke up and he's already mad at me? Just what the bloody hell happened?!

"First, I discover you're not really eating and barely sleeping. Second, I receive a letter late in the night from Rose stating you fell asleep in the rain at your mother's grave. And lastly!" Standing, Severus narrowed his eyes. "If it wasn't for Miss Granger barging into my classroom, I wouldn't of known you had collapsed from exhaustion!"

"...collapsed?" Billowing the blankets around her waist, Aurora contemplated what the man was saying. "I collapsed? When? Where?!"

"In your bloody classroom!" He roared, cape twirling with his body as he turned back around. "You collapsed and wouldn't wake up. You've been here all day, asleep, for nearly nine hours!" His voice echoed far and wide within the wing. Thankfully Poppy was down in the Great Hall for dinner, leaving the two of them alone, as there were no other students around.