I Don't Want To Be The Reason You Die

Disclaimer: I only own Aurora and any other OC's. UPDATE: I do not own any of the chapter pictures. All were found via Google. 

~ oOo ~

The summer after her first year of teaching was spent in pure bliss, as Aurora spent the weeks within Spinner's End, allocating her time around her black cat Merlin, her dragon Sapphire, and most importantly, Severus. The two rarely left the confines of the male professor's home, spending their time cleaning every inch of the old household, concocting numerous potions in the basement, and simply enjoying the others company.

Each week flew by quickly, and Aurora was saddened when September was closing in on the pair, as they would be required in returning to the castle to begin the new year for all the witch and wizard students. As August crept upon their doorstep, both professors began establishing their notes for the upcoming year, more so with Aurora as she was adding a second course to her curriculum and wanted to be extra prepared for the first day.

But as much planning as she had done, nothing could truly prepare the witch for the new year, but she was still as excited as ever. With August coming to a close, Severus and Aurora decided to travel to Diagon Alley as they both were needing to stockpile on supplies, both for their classroom and personal wares. Dressed and ready to go, they apparated to The Leaky Cauldron, nodding in the direction to individuals they were familiar with and made their way towards the back. Tapping his wand upon the brick, Severus opened the back door and they entered the infamous "shopping center" for witches and wizards alike.

Diagon Alley was bustling with children and their parents. Aurora smiled as she saw the smiles and gleaming faces of new students, buying their required items needing for their first year at Hogwarts. Several students waved or said hello as they passed by their professors; Aurora reciprocating their attention as Severus walked with a blank façade by her side, groaning in slight annoyance at the nonstop clatter surrounding and filling his ears.

Aurora laughed as they maneuvered in and out of the crowds, knowing exactly where they needed to go first. "Severus, if you don't like teaching kids, you should quit being a teacher and open your own apothecary."

"Aurora, we've had this discussion before," her wizard replied, annoyance clipped within his tone. "And you know why I became a teacher in the first place, remember that."

"Oh, touchy," Aurora stated, eyes focusing on Flourish and Blotts. Freezing in her spot, several individuals nearly ran into her, but her focus was somewhere else, even as different people attempted to apologize. The Potions Professor was oblivious to her halting until she asked, "Uh, Severus?"

"Yes Aurora?" Severus turned his attention away from her, noticing they were nearing the Cauldron Shop.

"Is that Lucius Malfoy?" Looking in her direction, Severus could, indeed, see his old friend, along with his son Draco through the window to the bookstore. Moving in its direction, Aurora could see Draco's father speaking with the Weasley children, and the expressions on their faces detailed the conversation wasn't in good faith.

"Aurora..." Severus called her name, tinting her name with a strong emphasis. She began walking in the direction of the store and the wizard knew what she wanted to do.

"I'll go get the supplies we need from Flourish, and meet you at the apothecary?"

"Must you say something to Lucius? Or is it because he's speaking to the Weasleys?"

"Severus..." Turning, the wizard could tell that what she was seeing within the shop was striking a nerve. He knew the woman had a soft spot for those who were being belittled, and Severus felt he should reciprocate the same as her but had grown to simply push it towards the back of his mind, as he had never done as a student himself.