Birthdays Shouldn't Be Filled With Regret

Disclaimer: I only own Aurora and any other OC's. Remember, I will occasionally use quotes from both the books or movie, depending on the scene; I do not own direct quotes or phrases. UPDATE: I do not own any of the chapter pictures. All were found via Google. 

~ oOo ~

Severus Snape and Aurora Warrington found themselves overly tired and exhausted within the weeks after the Dueling Club incident. They, and the other staff, increased their patrolling of the castle at night, keeping a wary eye for student's past curfew and any other individuals' behavior. The professors were beginning to worry as the night after the Dueling Club, another student, Justin Finch-Fletchley, along with Nearly Headless Nick, were found petrified within one of the main corridors, by none other than Harry Potter.

Aurora was beginning to think whoever was petrifying the students had the ability to sneak anywhere within the castle.

Nevertheless, classes continued as normal with Albus keeping the School Board at bay, though Aurora was slightly skittish when the holidays grew closer, but once she began decorating her chambers for Christmas, she was able to forego the anxiety creeping along her spine. As the weather grew cold and unfriendly, with snow falling every day, the witch was able to push her worries to the back of her mind while dragging Severus around the white grounds for late afternoon walks. Mind and heart at ease, Aurora knew something worse would happen before the end of second term, but wanted to simply enjoy a moment of silent peace.

And just as time quickly passes when one isn't paying attention, the Christmas holiday came and went, leaving the few remaining students and professors with smiles on their faces at the gifts they received and the warm food filling their bellies. Celebrating on their own, Aurora and Severus spent the day in the male's chambers, leisurely lounging around, enjoying each other's company by the fire with his knitted blanked around their shoulders. Gifting a present towards the other, Aurora gave Severus a hand-knitted scarf and glove set to match the blanket she gave him the previous year. She even placed some of his favorite chocolates into his stocking. He wouldn't admit it, but the wizard had a sweet tooth, though not as bad as his lover.

And Severus' gift to Aurora?

Brand new books she'd been wanting were wrapped individually and tied with string, her squeal of joy became music to the man's ears. Upon opening her last gift, Aurora retrieved a small, black suede back and, undoing the tied strings, poured a trinket into her hand. The trinket was a thin, silver chain bracelet with two small charms, one of a dragon, and the other, a cat. Smiling, Aurora was near tears when the black-haired male took the bracelet from her fingers and clasped it around her wrist. To say Aurora was thrilled with her present would be an understatement. She was overjoyed and happy.

Severus, on the other hand, was troubled.

Guilt weighing heavily on his conscious, the Potions Master walked around the castle after Christmas with a sulk on his face, but only when Aurora was not by his side. His eyes were always narrowed and a headache usually accompanied him whenever he was not in the witch's presence. Students tended to avoid close range when walking in the halls, but after the holidays, they avoided the male professor all together. The scowl was deeper, his stare harder, and his presence was made known to all who saw – Severus Snape was infuriated. The question is, with who?

With himself.

Every moment his eyes landed on Aurora was like he was seeing her for the first time in ten years, just as it had been the previous summer. His heart would tighten, the very air he breathed left his lungs as he consumed the aura that was his lover, the only person in his world who desired to know him for who he was, who he had been. The woman accepted his past as a Death Eater, even forgave him for the pain and inexcusable behavior he bestowed during her final school year; Severus led her to believe that he reciprocated her feelings of love during her Seventh Year, but the confusion he held was due to Lily Potter. With the knowledge that Lily was not the one he truly loved, Severus now gave everything he had for the one who captured his heart. He wanted and desired to prove Aurora was the one he loved all this time, and that he, in fact, was the dunderhead who hadn't noticed it before.