Remembering the Past, Embracing the Future

Disclaimer: I only own Aurora and any other OC's. Remember, I will occasionally use quotes from both the books or movie, depending on the scene; I do not own direct quotes or phrases. UPDATE: I do not own any of the chapter pictures. All were found via Google. 

~ oOo ~

"Severus..."

Aurora gazed at the man who had been her Potions Professor during her final year at Hogwarts, but what pierced the witch's heart more than anything was how the man claimed he had once been her friend. Severus' obsidian eyes continued to gaze into her own before Albus' voice interrupted the silenced quarrel.

"Severus, my boy, how can I help you?"

Averting his eyes, the Potions Master glanced up to the Headmaster and noticed how Aurora turned her back to him and faced forward, averting her own eyes as well. His heart beat erratically and Severus had to push a lost sensation he hadn't felt in years deep within the black heart of his decrepit soul. Swallowing, he answered, "Sir, you owled and requested to speak with me."

"Ah, yes I did." Turning to the witch, the Headmaster asked, "Aurora, my dear I must speak with Severus on an important matter regarding the next term. As I said, the proposition is on the table and it's your decision. Take some time and think it over; you know where my office is if you need to speak with me." Nodding her head, Aurora stood to her feet and time slowed as she turned on her heels. As her eyes lifted, she was met with Severus' staring straight into hers as she grew closer with each step she took. With a shaky hand on the door handle, Aurora froze for a split second as she tilted her head towards the Potions Master; his eyes slightly widened once more before she turned fully to face the Headmaster.

"Albus? I appreciate the proposition you have given me and would graciously accept the offer."

With a curt nod, the Headmaster answered and smiled while doing so, "I am happy you've agreed. If you have the time, please meet me again at this time tomorrow and we'll discuss the position more."

"Of course." Opening the door, Aurora bowed her head in Severus' direction, attempting to avert gazing into his eyes once more. "Severus, it was good to see you," she whispered.

"You too, Aurora."

Her lips curled upwards, but as she shut the heavy wooden door before her, the witch could feel the raggedness of her harsh breathing. A crystalline tear fell from one eye and Aurora hastily brushed the damn thing aside. Straightening, the witch could feel a locked section of her heart break open as she was flooded with past memories, sensations, words, friends, names. Aurora walked away from the Headmaster's office and, just as when she arrived at Hogwarts, her life as a student returned to her as she reminisced through the halls.

~ oOo ~

"The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily."

"Slytherin!"

"Hufflepuff!"

"Ravenclaw!"

A young Aurora stood in the depleting crowd of First Years waiting to be sorted into their Houses; one by one, the rest of the student's names were called and the Sorting Hat was placed upon their heads. Waiting for her own name to be called, the Muggle-born witch took a chance and gazed around the Great Hall. The bewitched night sky was dazzling; the candles were endlessly burning; and the students were chatting with excitement and bewilderment at the new First Years. That is, until the young Aurora caught the eyes of a Fifth Year Slytherin.

Obsidian orbs met ocean blue; Aurora simply stared, too afraid to smile or wave because she was the new student from a non-magical family. The boy simply stared back, his long, black tresses of hair curtained his face. But the young witch could faintly see a smirk grow across his lips.