New Year, Stronger Relations

Disclaimer: I only own Aurora and any other OC's. Remember, I will occasionally use quotes from both the books or movie, depending on the scene; I do not own direct quotes or phrases. UPDATE: I do not own any of the chapter pictures. All were found via Google.

~ oOo ~

Sipping her hot tea, Aurora held the warm cup between her fingers; it was something to grasp as she was slightly shaking from nerves. Both Severus and Aurora had barely taken a seat within the Leaky Cauldron and their drinks and food were already ordered, but Aurora was still quiet, not understanding what she was doing with the Potions Master. Taking another sip, the witch attempted to smiled; tea had always been her mother's secret to calming nerves, but Aurora suddenly wished she had a shot of fire whiskey.

Not a bad idea, she thought as a smirk crossed her face. But the low depth of Severus' voice interrupted her thoughts as she lifted her eyes to watch him.

"Did you order tea to calm your nerves, Aurora?"

The witch chuckled. "Of course, you would remember that, Severus."

Severus held his cup firmly, occasionally dipping the tea bag into the steaming water. "Just because we haven't seen each other in nearly ten years doesn't mean that I forgot anything you told me, Aurora." Biting her tongue, Aurora averted her gaze to glance upon the other witches and wizards within the establishment. She saw numerous families with their soon-to-be-students as packages of various sizes lay around them. She couldn't help but remember the day she had received her letter – along with a visit from Professor McGonagall directly. Both her mother and step-father had been surprised of the information, but were nonetheless supportive of the direction their daughter was headed. Knowing the waterworks were forming in the corners of her eyes, she shook her head and turned her attention towards the other professor; his gaze watching her closely.

"Severus, why have you asked me to join you?"

Sighing, the wizard placed his cup down and grabbed the bridge of his nose. His voice was quiet when he spoke. "Aurora...we'll be working alongside each other this next year. With this chip on your shoulder..."

"What chip on my shoulder, Severus?"

"You know bloody well what I speak of, Aurora." Severus' voice dropped even lower, and Aurora was more worried about the effects it had on her body than his harsh tone. Looking upwards, he captured her eyes with his, and Severus had to intake a quick breath. After all these years...her beauty stands far among others, his mind raced. "Look...when you graduated and left Hogwarts ten years ago...we didn't leave on a friendly note and neither one of us has spoken until you arrived in Dumbledore's office a few weeks ago."

Taking a sip, Aurora answered quietly, "If you're asking to speak about what happened ten years ago, I'd rather keep that under the table."

"Aurora..."

"No, Severus." Narrowing her eyes, Aurora glared at the Potions Master. The feelings she had felt ten years prior were escaping deep within the confines of her heart. Ultimately, she had forgiven Severus as much as her heart allowed, but she had never forgotten. "If anything, we should move on from this point forward. We are to be working together throughout the year, I assume? We need to be at least on friendly terms."

Sighing, Severus downed the rest of his drink, ignoring the slight burning sensation the steamy water cascaded down his suddenly parched throat. In a sense, she was right. But, there was one thing Severus needed to say before they could move on permanently. "Aurora..." Looking away, Severus could feel his cheeks burn. Damn this insatiable woman. No even Lily could succumb me to such embarrassment. "I want to respect your wish, but just know that we do need to speak of it at some point."