03 | "News"

1993'

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Miyoko groaned in annoyance as she hit the clock next to her bed. She didn't know why she kept it in her room. It gave her PTSD from when she had to wake up every morning at 7 o'clock for school, she was finally free and didn't want to hear that clock until it was at least noon.

She was lucky to even be waking up in her own bedroom after Keena found the money from Leon, who claimed he was holding the money for Keena since he knew she was careless. Miyoko knew it was bullshit but she didn't care as long as the money went straight to their rent. A knock sounded at her door and she tossed the sheets off of her as she looked at Keena who let herself in.

"Mi, get up. I gotta get to work and I need you to take Mina to school because I'm sure the bus is gonna leave, please and thank you." Keena shut the door not giving Miyoko enough time to reply back. She didn't have a choice anyway. Mina was her nine year old niece who she adored. Good thing Mina got all of her features from her mother's side and not her father's.

Miyoko sat up in her bed and checked the time on the clock.

7:34. AM.

It was too early way too early for her to be up but she would do anything for her niece. Miyoko turned her head to look at the picture frame she had of her late Mother and Father, Judy and Michael Jennings. She picked up the frame and kissed it, something she did everyday and night. She never talked much about her parents and everyone understood that but one thing she made sure people knew was she loved her parents more than life itself.

Unfortunately their life was taken by a drunk driver June 13, 1985. She could remember that day like it was yesterday and was kind of amazed how the truck took the life of them but not her.

"Mi, can you please help me with my hair, mommy left too soon and I don't want to be late again."

At the sound of her niece, Miyoko got up and grabbed her robe hanging up on her door. She got the robe on and opened her room door. She looked down and smiled at the sight of her beautiful niece.

"Yeah come on."

Mina suggested on doing Miyoko's signature hairstyle with two ponytails, Miyoko did just that but she twisted Mina's hair and added Bobo's to the end. Of course Mina loved it, she loved anything her aunt did. She was more inspired by Miyoko than her own mom, but she knew never to say anything around her mom because she would be upset. No mom wanted to hear they weren't their child's inspiration.

"Let's go before you miss the bus."

Miyoko and Mina ran outside in time as the bus stopped one stop ahead before theirs. She watched as Mina walked to the sidewalk where the bus picked her up. The bus picked Mina up and Miyoko waved to her, she stood outside watching the bus until it was out of her sight. Releasing a deep breath she went back inside to get her day started.

"So I have something I want to tell you." Amirah announced as Miyoko looked at her suspiciously. They were currently sitting on the front porch of Miyoko's house drinking beer that Amirah brought with her. Miyoko turned her body as she eyed her friend. If she could give three guesses it would be pregnant, going to college, or with a new man.

Miyoko didn't know what to expect but she was ready for the news either way.

"I'm moving out of my parents house." Amirah clasped her hands together as she grinned waiting for a response from Miyoko. Miyoko was definitely taken off guard and her face definitely showed it.

"Well congratulations, when did this happen?"

"One day I was apartment shopping with Oscar and I was just bored doing it for fun and he insisted. I had looked at three apartments but the fourth one was the one I loved. He gave me the money in hand and I paid for it like a week later."