26| "Good Deed"

Calabasas, California

              1996'

21.

The lucky number. Miyoko had just turned 21 and couldn't believe it. She was really a grown woman. If someone would've asked her where she imagined herself at twenty one she'd look at you with a blank stare. Her own car, house, a career, financial stable  and a loving man by her side. She was living the American dream. Never in a million years had she thought her life would turn out as such.

Not to mention the fact a day after her birthday was the Grammys ceremony. She was excited. Not for herself but for Arlante. Even though she had been nominated for her first single And I for song of the year she didn't bother to get herself hyped. Not that she wasn't confident in herself but because she was up there with house hold names. She didn't stand a chance. She was better off knowing she accomplished at least a nomination.

She was contempt with the awards she has gotten from the Billboard awards and American Music Awards for her feature on Gats. It was early on in her career and she'll always have time and opportunity to prepare for a Grammy.

She received so much love from friends, family and her fans. Her favorite part was all the sweet letters and messages she received from her fans. There was a certain address given to her fans where they could send her any thing. She received over 2500 letters. She read about 100 of them since her birthday and of course she couldn't get to all but she was going to try. It made her feel special.

When her birthday came she meant it when she said she didn't want to do anything. She just wanted to be work free. She had put everything work related on hold for that day and relaxed. She was able to get a spa day which involved a massage, manicure, pedicure and a facial. It was one of the most relaxing days of her life and she enjoyed it.

Arlante had given her a big breakfast with balloons, two dozen bouquet of roses and perfume. He didn't go all out the jewelry and purses like he usually would because he wanted to respect her wishes. He felt if he had gotten her stuff that she didn't ask for it'll make him seem inconsiderate and selfish.

The one thing she loved was he stayed home that whole day to accompany her. While she went to the spa he stayed back and waited on her. They just stayed in the house and spent the rest of their day watching movies and making love.

24 hours after her birthday she had to jump back into reality to spend the day getting ready for the Grammys. Even though she was nervous she was also excited. She would be presenting the awards for producer of the year. Arlante was a nominee in that category and she was happy for him. The last time he dropped an album was back in 1994 with UNITY and she felt they had been robbed. They didn't get a nominee as a group for best rap group or anything.

UNITY wasn't tripping because they didn't really care for the Grammys. It was an organization ran by a bunch of white folks. They'd be in hell before they won a grammy. They had one of the best selling rap albums of 1994 and already celebrated their accomplishments from that. They had plans on releasing another album together in the next year or two but everyone was still trying to get ready for their own solo albums.