34 | "Liar"

December 1996'

Miyoko sat in her bed with her laptop in her lap as she responded to her emails. Most of the time she never got enough time to do so. She had been meaning to hire an assistant. She couldn't handle everything by herself being a busy woman.

A few months ago she had her billboard performance and nailed it. The time she spent stressing over her relationship she used it as her motivation as rehearsals. She had to start putting herself first. Celeste was right about everything and she was trying to focus more on her career than her relationship. She had something to prove.

The performance gained her a lot of buzz because everyone loved it. She performed her single's off of her debut album and her diss track against Sadity. People had a lot to say about it but she didn't care. In a couple of months the grammys will be here.

Miyoko was nominated for best pop duo for her feature with Mahogany. It would've been great if she had got nominated for one of her songs off her album but she was thankful to be nominated with someone as talented as Mahogany.

Her relationship with Keena hadn't changed and neither did her relationship with her niece. Amina wasn't as upset as she assumed. She was able to have a conversation with her to explain everything. Amina understood and she was able to make it up to her.

Miyoko's lips twisted to the side, feeling Arlante's hand wrap around her waist. She was sitting indian style in the bed and trying to focus. He was laid next to her asleep. It was only eight o'clock at night. He had gotten home earlier that day and been asleep for about two hours.

The sound of a beeper going off caught her attention for the fifth time that night in only ten minutes. The beeper would ring and then after a few seconds it would stop. The person paged him every two minutes in the last ten minutes and it was beginning to annoy her. He hadn't even woken out of his sleep from the noise.

Once the sound stopped she continued responding to her emails. She scoffed when the beeper went off again and it had only been thirty seconds. Miyoko shoved Arlante with her right hand. She was utterly annoyed by him and the person trying to get in contact with him.

"Would you answer that stupid beeper." Miyoko rolled her eyes. Arlante groaned, raising his head from his pillow. He looked at her wondering what was with the attitude until he heard the beeper going off himself.

Arlante reached over and grabbed the beeper off the dresser and checked the message. He laid on his back with the beeper in his hand as he looked at it.

"Who is it?" Miyoko asked, glancing over his shoulder at him. She wanted to know who so badly needed to get in contact with him at eight o'clock at night. She knew it wasn't Claudia because she went to sleep early usually around 6:00.

"Does it matter?" He remarked, sitting up in the bed throwing the covers off of him.

She scoffed realizing he took the beeper with him as he walked into their bathroom. This was the exact bullshit she was talking about. It resulted in her having to deal with him. He made things harder than it had to be and she was going to make it harder for him.

She tossed the laptop onto the bed and walked up to the bathroom door. She touched the doorknob and it was locked. She knocked on the bathroom door continuously. It was kind of chilly in the house. She only had on a big t-shirt.

She didn't say anything. She knocked on the door until he opened it. She stood there with her arms folded. He looked down at her wearing nothing but pajama pants.

"What, Miyoko?"

"I asked you a question."

"Oh really? I ain't notice."