07| "Misconstrued"

1994'

Miyoko's eyes looked over the calendar she had up hung up on her wall as she x'd off the day's date, January 1, 1994. It was finally new years and she was excited for what the year had to bring in for her. It was like that every time a new year came around for her. She looked forward to what god had in store. It also had been a month since she last seen Arlante.

The last time she saw him was a month ago. After the date they had planned Wednesday went smoothly as she expected, she and him had been talking frequently. She learned more about Arlante and he learned a few things about her but she did leave some things out because it was too early on in their friendship.

He was back in California while she was in Houston and a day didn't go by without him calling to check on her. He wasn't able to see her physically but he made sure to keep in contact with her, he liked Miyoko and wanted to get to know her on a more personal level before he could be able to further any kind of relationship with her, same for Miyoko.

"Miyoko!"

Miyoko rolled her eyes at the sound of her name being called. She had just got done eating breakfast so brushing her teeth was the last thing to do that morning. Once she dried her mouth with a towel hanging in the bathroom she walked out. She walked out in the hallway seeing Keena by the door with an annoyed expression on her face.

"What?" Miyoko looked at Keena with an raised eyebrow.

"Its for you and It looks like you got a secret admirer." Keena pursed her lips as Miyoko walked to the door. Keena moved from the door as Miyoko looked at the Ups driver in front of her.

"Miyoko Jennings?" He asked as she nodded her head. He nodded and handed her the clipboard in his hand. "Just sign by the dotted line." Miyoko signed the paper and thanked the man as she widened her eyes at all the flowers sitting on the front porch. Instead of asking for help she carried the three set of roses inside the house. The boxes weren't that heavy surprisingly.

Miyoko closed the front door, locking it once she got all the boxes settled in on the dining table. She couldn't help but blush as she grabbed the card hanging from one of the boxes. She picked up the card and read it.

Don't even bother to ask how a nigga got your address just know I get around! I know I aint down there with you and I wish I was but that's cool. This was just one of my many surprises I got for you. Happy New Year, Goldilocks!

-          Arlante Wright

Miyoko blushed even more as she closed the card after she read it. It was nice that he put that much effort just to tell her a happy new year when a simple phone call would've been okay. Miyoko picked up one of the roses out of the box and smelled it. Roses were the only flowers that she tolerated and he remembered, small details like that mattered to her a lot.

"So...who sent you them flowers?" Keena asked nosily as she appeared out of the kitchen with a cup of coffee in her hand. She knew Miyoko had to be seeing someone from the way she was on the phone almost every day. She was kind of annoyed how her little sister avoided telling her who the guy was.

"Just a friend." Miyoko said as she tried to hide her smile, looking up at Keena.

"Miyoko It aint just a friend, damn why you gotta act like that? Anything I go through with Leon I tell you bout it but because you finally got some nigga entertaining you, you think you hot shit?"

"Its not like I ask you to tell me about you and Leon...you choose to tell me that yourself."

"Fine, I don't even give a fuck anymore." Keena said with shrug as she turned into the kitchen.