32 | "Truth Hurts"

August 1996'
                         Four Months Later...

It was safe to say that Amirah's birthday in Jamaica was a success. A time was had but now it was back to reality. Miyoko was glad she would be going home with her man on her arm and a ring on her finger.

A good time was had and that was the ultimate goal. Everyone enjoyed themselves and made the best time of Jamaica. Of course Miyoko's favorite part was the proposal. Not only was she shocked about the proposal she was surprised Amirah let it happen during her birthday trip. That was very mature of her to do.

Amirah herself was surprised when he had called her a week before the proposal four months ago. He called her expressing how he and Miyoko weren't in the best place. Amirah was confused since Miyoko had been telling her everything was okay. He told her he loved Miyoko and wanted to do something to show her how invested he was into their relationship. In Amirah's mind she was thinking it was too soon for them to be thinking of marriage. Miyoko was in her early twenties and he was in his prime. He would be thinking about marriage but would Miyoko?

But when he explained to her everything going on she felt bad. She didn't like Arlante but how sad and depressed he sounded over the phone made her give in. Miyoko was her friend and she knew her like the back of her hand. She would feel the love from his proposal. From the set up and the plane sign. She would not be expecting it.

To say Miyoko was happy was an understatement. She couldn't stop talking about her ring. As soon as they landed back in California she wasted no time searching for a wedding planner. Arlante was on board with anything his bride wanted to do. He was paying for it all and he wanted Miyoko to feel the love. Their plan was to get married in the next year. That's what he wanted to do. He brought it up and wanted to know what she thought.

After all she was still young. Being only 21 no one in their right mind was thinking about getting married. Miyoko honestly wanted to get married but she never saw it in her future. With everything going on she figured that would be the last thought on her boyfriend's mind.

But that was in the past. She was in a wealthier position than she was two years ago. She was making a lot of money and so was he. They weren't going to struggle and not have a successful wedding. She heard about the couples who waited a long period of time before actually tying the knot. She didn't want to do that. If you loved someone why wait?

So therefore she agreed with him to plan to have their wedding in the next year. The location was undecided but they were thinking of someplace overseas. She always imagined her wedding would be big. Full of family and friends. She was actually thinking of doing two weddings. One with nothing but family and their close friends that have been there since day one and their second wedding with outside friends from the industry. It was just a thought at the moment.

While everything was a success relating to their engagement Miyoko brought it to his attention that she didn't want to announce it to the world. Only close family and friends that could be trusted. Everything would be private until they tied the knot. Everyone would keep making the assumptions they did everyday and they'd come out with their announcement as Mr and Mrs. Wright.

Four months ago was when he proposed. The past four months had been a breeze. Not a lot of fighting and a lot of communication being had. Arlante's promise to cut back on the drinking had sufficed. He was coping with the death of Imani well but sometimes he had his days. Nothing too horrid, but everyday was something different.

It was five o'clock in the morning on a Saturday. The couple had fell asleep at a decent time than usually. They had spent the day together and after a long day then ended the night watching television. Miyoko suddenly woke up hearing a loud object hit the floor. She fluttered her eyes open and sat up rubbing her eyes. This time she heard a different noise. She heard the noise again and looked over at Arlante who was banging his fist against the side of their bed repeatedly. The sound was so loud she jumped even though she knew it was coming.