Chapter 28 - How Hard Did You Hit Him?

Enjoy! Don't forget to vote and comment ❤️

~ Daniela's POV ~

"I'm sorry, what?"

"I don't like repeating myself."

Oh so he was in business mode.

"You want me to come and work for you?" When I repeated his words out loud, he didn't bother to respond instead just letting me mull over the sudden bomb he dropped on me.

He wanted me to work in the mafia?

"I don't understand." When I finally spoke again he turned his head to look at me letting out a sigh. "It's not hard to understand Dani."

"You want me to come and work for you? As what?" This time he gave me an incredulous look before he put his empty glass down mumbling to himself. "I thought she was smart."

My eyes widened at his words but he didn't take any notice of my offence and instead continued. "I want you to be my accountant Daniela."

"You want me to-" Before I could repeat his question again out of shock, he cut me off instead clearly having had enough of my shock and repetition.

Excuse me for showing some emotion.

"You are qualified, right?" The moment he questioned my education and whether I took my CPA exam, I narrowed my eyes at him. "Of course I'm qualified."

"I was just checking, I don't want to get into trouble." When he raised his hand in surrender before cracking a smile, I realised he was only joking. As if he even cared if he got into trouble - this wasn't Suits, he really wouldn't give a damn if I wasn't a qualified accountant. "Whatever, why do you want me to work for you? I don't know a thing about the mafia."

"I'll teach you, Grey will teach you, it's not hard to pick it up. It's just like going to work for any other business, you have to learn how it all works when you get there."

Grey? Really? That guy would sooner shoot me in the face than teach me how the mafia works.

"But why me?" When he saw the confusion on my face Carson reached his hand to take mine. "Because I trust you and I just...right now I just need someone I can trust Dani."

"Is this about what you were talking about this morning? I wasn't eavesdropping I promise, I just...overheard you." When I realised how bad it sounded I internally cringed, but he didn't even seem to care as he nodded his head.

"My previous accountant used to work for my father, I trusted him to carry on when I took over and he's been working for me for the last five years. Last night before I came home I found out he'd been stealing from me since day one."

That's why he was so angry, all that stuff he said about respect was because of this?

"But how didn't you catch him? Surely someone would have noticed." The moment I said I could tell his anger flared, even if it wasn't directed at me.

"My accountant is the one who is supposed to catch it. It was only small amounts of money and he did well to cover his tracks, but when I went missing he got complacent. He took too much and Grey noticed it."

"So where is he now?" Of course it was a stupid question, but I kind of asked it before I thought about what the answer would be.

"Dead."

"So my potential predecessor is dead? That's not exactly what I'd want to hear when you're asking me to take his job." When I said that, Carson gave me a smile. "I trust you Dani, you're not going to make the same mistake."