Chapter 35 - I'm Sorry

⚠️ Warning - this chapter contains mentions of anxiety, depression and strong mentions of suicide which could trigger some readers. Please read with caution. ⚠️

Enjoy Don't forget to vote and comment ❤️

~ Daniela's POV ~

"Hey beautiful."

When I just gave him a tight smile from my place next to him in the bed, he cracked a smile moving some hair away from my face.

"What's the matter baby?"

He knew, of course he knew.

Instead of responding to him I just moved in closer to him hiding my face in his neck causing him to chuckle. "Is it that painful?"

"Leave me alone." The moment I spoke I winced at the pain in my throat and how my voice came out so gravelly after our activities last night. I felt my irritation grow when he laughed again, running his hand through my hair. "Did you have a good sleep?"

When I nodded my head without a word he only laughed again causing me to lift my head so that I could glare at him while I attempted to ease the pain in my shoulders by rubbing them. "Stop laughing at me, my entire body is sore because of you."

"Sorry, sorry." Even as he gave me his very unapologetic apology he continued to chuckle to himself before he at least tried to control it. When I was about to move away from him he pulled me in closer to him again pressing a kiss to the base of my neck before he trailed kisses along my sore throat.

"I'm sorry." I felt his breath against my skin as he muttered those words before he eventually brought his face closer to mine. "Shall I make it up to you?"

"How?" I tried to whisper the words so that my hoarse voice didn't make him laugh all over again while he moved behind me so that he could massage my shoulders for me.

Then his stupid phone rang.

When it started buzzing on his nightstand he let out a frustrated sigh pulling his face away from my neck. At first I thought he'd just stop to answer his phone but instead he rolled over to grab it before he came back over to me, putting himself back to work.

"What?" The moment he forced those words out, his rubbed my shoulder a little too hard causing a squeak to leave my mouth.

Despite the fact he seemed angry by the disturbance and now with whatever he was hearing on the phone he still cracked a smile at that. Then within seconds he all of a sudden pulled away from me as he sat up straighter in the bed causing me to frown.

"How many?" I watched as he let out a breath running a hand over his face as he nodded his head. "You'll need to tell their families, assure them that they'll be taken care of financially for the rest of their lives and thank them for their service. Find out who the hell was behind it and do it quickly."

Without another word he hung up the phone tossing it down on the bed as he let out a breath, running a hand over his face.

"Carson? What happened?" As I sat up I held the bedsheets to my bare chest, placing my other hand on his back causing him to turn to look at me with frown. "Thirty-six of my men were killed last night in an attack."

I swear my heart broke when I saw the look on his face, as if he was personally responsible for every single death. He seemed so guilty and sad as he stared at the bedsheets in front of him without saying another word.

I didn't know what I was supposed to say to him so all I could do was pull him in for a hug allowing him to rest his forehead on my shoulder.

"Thirty-six Dani..." He mumbled the words as I held him, rubbing his back to try and comfort him. "I'm so sorry baby."