Chapter 36 - Back Where You Belong

⚠️Warning - This chapter contains strong mentions of suicide and suicidal thoughts. Please read with caution. ⚠️

I love this chapter and it's super long ❤️ I hope you enjoy, don't forget to vote and comment

~ Carson's POV ~

"Carson?"

Lifting my head away from the papers on my desk I looked over at the door where Grey had just come in. "What?"

He looked just as tired as I was which made me think he hadn't slept a wink that night either. Along with having to fulfil his responsibilities as my underboss, he was also taking care of Sara this weekend and for the next few days which meant he had her to think about too.

The only reason it was working was because he'd finally taken one of the other suites on the third floor which had a second bedroom that he had decorated for her. At least that way she had her own space and her toys and things.

"It's done, Lazio sent the money back."

As soon as he said those words relief instantly flooded through me as I leaned back in my chair letting out a sigh.

I know she didn't do it on purpose, and I know what I said to her was disgusting, but I was just so angry. I should have controlled my anger better I know that, but I had to be fair with her, even just a little bit.

I would have killed anyone who did something as stupid as that on site the moment I found out about it. Obviously I wasn't going to kill her, but that didn't mean I wasn't going to lose my mind.

It wasn't a small thing. Sure the money would have gone and half a billion dollars is nothing to just ignore, but the other consequences would have been much worse than just the loss of the money. For one I would probably have lost all respect if the Romano family told my enemies and even allies that I managed to screw up a deal so bad and gift him all that money. That kind of incompetence is what would have led me to lose a tonne of my business.

There's always a bigger picture in the mafia, everything you do has more than just one consequence. She didn't do it on purpose, but she still did it.

"Carson that's not all. I found out who was behind the attack at the warehouse."

This was the attack that killed thirty-six of my men. I had thirty-six mourning families to take care of because of one person. I had the blood of thirty-six men on my hands, my men.

The attack happened late on Saturday night while I was with Dani in bed, so I spent the entire day on Sunday consoling the families and sending them money and things. I guess that was the only way I could help. Then on Monday that whole thing with the Romano deal happened and I blew up on Dani at dinner.

It was now the early hours of Tuesday morning and still hadn't left my office after that. There was no way I was going to upset her again by going into our bedroom. I just wanted her to have a good rest and then my plan was to talk to her today and apologise.

Not that an apology would do much, but it was the least I could do after how I spoke to her.

"Who was it?" As Grey came over to my desk, he sat down across from me before he opened up the laptop he'd been carrying. "You were right to think it could have been the Hollande family, they're still kind of pissed about the torturing we did. But it wasn't them."

If it wasn't the Hollande family, there was only one other person who would be stupid enough to challenge me like this. We had a lot of enemies, and when I sat a lot I mean a lot, but I just couldn't shake this feeling that it was either one of them.