Chapter 42 - You Can Cry Too

Even though this chapter is so sad I still love it so much, also it's long as hell so I hope you enjoy

Don't forget to vote and comment ❤️

~ Daniela's POV ~

I think it took somewhere between half an hour to an hour for Carson to calm down enough that we could leave the basement to go back upstairs to his room.

After that short exchange of words when he asked me not to leave him, he hadn't said another word to me, only listening when I told him to come upstairs with me once he'd run out of tears. Once we got upstairs he only took a second to take off his hoodie before he dropped down on the bed.

"I need to call my brother." When he spoke his voice came out low and thick from the crying as he took the phone from my hand when I handed it back to him. Sitting down next to him I held onto his free hand as he dialled his brother's number, waiting for him to answer.

"Kai? Where are you?" For a moment he stayed quiet listening to his brother speak before he finally spoke again. "Okay, yeah I'll pick you up from the airport tomorrow."

It fell quiet again as I watched him before he let out a shaky breath. "I love you too."

Without another word he hung up the phone, gripping it tight in his hand as we sat there in silence. "Did he already know?"

"Yeah, the hospital called him. He's still in Chicago but he's coming home tomorrow morning." He barely even looked at me as he spoke, still keeping his eyes trained on the floor ahead of him. "What did she say to you?"

"Who?"

"The woman from the hospital." When he asked me that question I turned properly to face him, giving him a frown. "Carson I don't know if-"

"Freaking tell me." When he forced those words out, he turned to look at me surprising me with the anger in his eyes. "Sh-she said that they were pulling out of a parking lot for a convenience store in Manhattan when a lorry hit them. They..."

When my sentence trailed off he gave me another look pretty much forcing me to finish the last part. "They were both killed instantly."

Somehow just from the look on his face I knew he didn't believe that it was just a lorry, or just a coincidence that it happened. First I thought the same thing when I remembered Ayden's threat, but there was no way he would go after Carson's family, would he? It didn't seem very likely that he would hire someone to hit them with a lorry.

But now wasn't the time to think about who was at fault or if it was just an accident. He needed to grieve, he needed to process it properly before he launched into trying to find out if someone was responsible for it.

"You want to lie down?" When I broke the silence that fell around us, he turned to look at me with a frown shaking his head. "I don't know."

"You want a hug?" This time he just ignored my question.

"I need a drink." As soon as he mentioned that, I instantly shook my hand, grabbing his hand to stop him from getting up. "Carson don't do that, please. Alcohol will only make it worse."

"What the hell do you want me to do then? Huh? My mother and sister just freaking died Daniela!" Flinching at the way he pretty much screamed those words at me, I tried to reach out and grab his hand again which he only pulled away from me. "Don't touch me."

As he spoke he stood up from his place on the bed turning to glare at me. "Carson-"

"They're dead Daniela! Hugging you isn't going to bring them back, lying down with you isn't going to bring them back." Keeping his eyes on me he started pacing in front of me as I watched him completely unravel.