Chapter 45 - We're Done Here

Be prepared for flashbacks in this chapter - some of them are new and some of them were in previous chapters.

After this there is only one more chapter before epilogue 😭 this book is my baby I don't know what I'm going to do when I finish writing it.

Anyway, enjoy Don't forget to vote and comment ❤️

~ Daniela's POV ~

"Your dad?"

Nodding his head he let out a shaky breath as his continued to read over the papers he was holding. "He wrote to me...all these letters were from him."

But I thought he just left them without an explanation? But that wouldn't make sense if he was sending them letters.

"Your mom kept these from you?" My tone was tentative as I whispered those words to him, totally unsure of what his reaction would be. I guess he was still processing it though because he took a moment before he finally responded, nodding his head. "I've never seen them before."

"Why would she do that?"

It didn't make much sense to me. All this time Carson hated his father for leaving them without an explanation and never trying to contact them or help them when they desperately needed his help. If his life was anything like Carson's now as the leader of the mafia, he would have had enough money to take care of them.

"Because she lied." This time it seemed like he was whispering that to himself while he looked at the numerous unopened envelopes.

I could tell by his furrowed brow that he was extremely confused, which in a way probably only made the grief hit harder when he realised he couldn't just go and ask her what all of this was about. I guess it was moments like these that make you realise the rest of the world has moved on but you've still lost someone - someone so important to you.

"Don't think about that right now. Let's just put all of these aside and finish up here. Later you can read all the letters and we can figure it all out, together." For a moment he just continued to stare at the letters he was holding while my words lingered in the air before he finally put them down.

Once we got back to sorting through the last box, we came across a few more letters - but these had been opened and were addressed to Maya instead of the children. "Do I read them?"

"I can't tell you what to do, but I would if I was in your position. As much as she deserves her privacy, you also deserve some answers which might be in these letters."

At this he only nodded as he put them next to the other letters that we found, turning his attention back to the rest of the items which didn't seem so important now.

It didn't take long after that for us to finish off the last box of her things with Carson making it clear which boxes he wanted to keep so that his men could come and move them later since there was way too much for us to carry. There was only a handful of things he kept for right now, the letters included.

For most of the drive back to Long Island I could tell he was deep in thought and although that shouldn't have worried me, I would have preferred to know where his mind was taking him. There was no doubt that he was trying to think of why she would lie, but everyone knows you're imagination can get the best of you when you're spiralling for answers. Especially when the only people who can give them to you are dead.

I just hope he gets everything he needs from those letters.

Once we got home, the first thing he did was get himself a drink before he sat down in the living room staring at all the letters in front of him. "Are you sure I should open them? They're addressed to mama, they were hers."