Eight

The three Weasley boys sat with their arms crossed with angry expressions on their faces. Professor McGonagle sat in front of them with her brows up waiting for an explanation. There was a complete silence over the group and neither party was budging.

McGonagle cleared her throat trying to get their attention but their eyes stuck everywhere else except the head of the Gryffindor house. Fred let out a huff wanting to be anywhere but here. George didn't make a sound sitting in his own little world. Ron sat with an angry face thinking about how much he hated all of the fourth year Slytherins. No wonder all evil wizards came from that house.

"So," Professor McGonagle started, "Mr. Malfoy said something about your family which prompted you three to get in each other's faces?" She questioned.

The boys didn't answer. George just shifted in his seat with the thought of Draco saying something about his family. McGonagle's eyes stayed on them waiting for one of them to answer her but none of them budging.

"Would you prefer detention or would you like to tell me what happened in the Great Hall?" She pressed.

Ron sighed and sat up putting his head in his hands out of frustration. "Draco said something to Caroline about us because clearly Caroline has nothing better to do than-"

"Knock it off Ron it's not her fault." George muttered.

McGonagle raised a brow, "Ms. Reeves? Why don't we just ask her." She said getting up from her desk and walking out of the room.

Ron's eyes widened, George smacked his arms harshly. Ron winced shooting his older brother a dirty look. Fred sat up looking at the both of them rolling his eyes, "nice on Ron." He fake smiled reaching over and giving him a pat on the leg.

Within minutes Caroline walked in behind McGonagle with an annoyed expression on her face. McGonagle pulled a seat up for her and put her next to Ron. Lucky for the both of them.

"So Ms. Reeves please, could you tell me what happened in the Great Hall?" She asked sitting back down in her seat.

Caroline looked at Ron giving him a dirty look before looking back at McGonagle, "Draco made a stupid comment because my best friends are Hufflepuffs and he," she pointed at Ron, "overreacted."

Ron scoffed, "I overreacted?"

She nodded not looking at him, "you just have to insert yourself into everything don't you?" She asked.

The twins watched wanting to laugh their brother and the Slytherin try and argue with each other. McGonagle wanted to roll her eyes becoming annoyed with the pair. They were really getting nowhere with this.

"You really are daft." Ron muttered while Caroline let out a laugh.

"I will not stand to be insulted by Harry Potter's pathetic friend." She said, the twins mouth fell open. Ron looked at her angrily and she smiled at him. McGonagle stood up leaning over the desk and looked between the two with a frustrated expression on her face.

"If you two cannot tell me what happened without arguing I will take more points away from each of your houses AND two weeks of daily detention with Professor Snape." She said sternly.

The two of their faces fell looking back up to the Professor. They shook their heads ready to speak on what happened. McGonagle smiled to herself and sat back down, "Ms. Reeves you go first."

Caroline sighed, "Draco made a comment at the Weasley's expense it was completely unnecessary." She said quietly a nervousness wavering over her voice.

This catch Ron off guard, did she feel bad?

"And what was the comment?" She asked.

"That I was basically a, you know." Caroline said avoiding all eye contact from anyone in the room that had been staring at her. The four other people in the room didn't know what she was trying to say. She quickly noticed the silence before shooting her head back up to McGonagle, "oh please don't make me say it in front of them."

"Say what?" Fred questioned.

She looked up at the ceiling before saying, "that your family are blood traitors." Fred rolled his eyes expecting that answer. Ron wanted to pop Caroline's head right off her neck the moment blood trait left her mouth. 

Slytherins and entitlement went too well together. Especially with their pureblood supremacy ideals that were so outdated. While Caroline didn't believe in those ideals because she didn't come from pureblood parents and if Ron knew, he probably could have cared less. He hated Caroline Reeves and everything that had to do with her. Not a single thing could change his mind on that and he was sure of it. 

"Gosh why can't Gryffindors and Slytherins just get along for one year." McGonagle sighed, "and Mr. Weasley what prompted you to taking matters into your own hands?" She asked Ron. 

He shrugged, "I don't want my last name coming out of a Malfoy's mouth." She nodded then turning to the twins.

"And you two?" 

They looked at each other before George spoke up, "just defending our name." Fred nodded at his brothers words. 

"Draco and his father always have something to say about us and I got angry so I tried to shut him up I was out of line." Fred said looking down at his feet.

McGonagle nodded, "well if you are aware of the severity of your actions than you may go, all of you." She said. 

They all stood up from their chairs grabbing their things and walking out of the room. Caroline walked ahead of them all not wanting to create anymore damage with the brothers.  Not that she would think twice about them once the group walked out of the door. 

Caroline turned right into the corridor while George and Ron waved goodbye to Fred who was also going right. Caroline kept walking minding her own business Fred on the other hand was trying to catch up to her. "Hey wait up!" He exclaimed but she kept walking, "Caroline!"

She turned around completely confused as to why he of all people was trying to catch up to her. "Nope! Too much Weasley activity for me today!" She exclaimed turning back around trying to get away from him. 

He was too quick, curse her short legs. He grabbed her arm lightly making her halt in her steps she looked up at him annoyed as he let go of her arm. "I just wanted to ask how you think Maddie is doing with everything?" He asked.

She furrowed her brows giving him a weird look, "and why would you care?" She questioned. 

"She was upset last night and we talked I figured she would've said something to you, we keep bumping into each other." He shrugged.

Caroline looked away from Fred not understanding what he was going on about. Did Maddie not go back to her dorm last night? Why wouldn't Maddie come to her if she was upset? 

"She's going through a lot right now." Fred added.

Caroline scoffed, "you think I don't know that? Where the hell have you been for the past two months?" She snapped taking Fred by surprise, "the last thing she needs right now is someone like you."

"Like me?" He questioned quite offended by her words. 

"You can hang around make her feel better but the second her brothers find out your head will be snapped, it'll be the same thing they did with Cedric," Caroline sighed looking back up to him, "even if you had innocent intentions you need to back off." 

Fred was beyond confused at this point not understanding where any of this was coming from. "I'm not trying to do anything-"

"Okay great but please for the sake of her, just stop." She sighed walking off leaving Fred standing in the corridor. 

There were a million questions running through Caroline's mind. She couldn't help but feel slightly hurt that Maddie didn't think she could go to her. She knew that Maddie was upset with Cedric and she should've waited to see if she really went back to her dorm. Starting to feel like the worst friend in the world, Caroline stood by the door of Maddie's class waiting for class to be dismissed.