Twenty-Eight

Maddie tiredly walking to the courtyard finally going to see her brothers. It was cold out and it was also the day of the second task. She held her coat close to her as she tried to get everything off her mind. As she walked she saw people scurrying around trying to get ready to leave for the second task.

She looked up seeing the tall boy she hasn't been able to think about without throwing up. Her legs stopped her from moving she then saw him with a short girl. He looked up seeing Maddie and his eyes widened, the girl noticed and turned around. Maddie's face fell when she saw Caroline's equally just as shocked face.

Caroline looked back at Fred, "I'll handle this." She said backing away and going towards Maddie. Fred bid her good luck before disappearing.

Maddie scoffed looking at Caroline, "you get new friends and a new boyfriend?" Maddie questioned.

Caroline raised an eyebrow laughing, "you're delusional."

"You really are the worst person," Maddie said, "you're no different than Blaise or Draco or anyone else you think you're so much better than!" She exclaimed.

Caroline stood there holding back any anger she had towards the Hufflepuff. She shrugged in response making Maddie more annoyed than she was before. Caroline didn't want to engage and say something that should would later regret.

"You said you hated him Caroline! And now I find you with him? What you wanted him all to yourself?" Maddie yelled making Caroline whip around and look at Maddie as if she was crazy.

"Did it ever occur to you that not everyone is trying to spite you? You've completely overlooked the fact that it was Fred, the one you like? He likes you back, but you're too proud to even accept that." Caroline said making Maddie go quiet.

The two girls heard footsteps and Maddie looked behind her. Dumbledore walked towards them with a big smile on his face, "sorry to interrupt could I borrow you Ms. Burns?" He asked.

Maddie didn't even look back at Caroline before nodding and walking away with her headmaster. Caroline stood there shaking her head and crossing her arms, she couldn't believe Maddie. She walked away from the courtyard and up to the astronomy tower. She leaned against the wall and crossed her legs looking at the long haired ginger who was hanging up snowflakes.

"So how'd it go?" Fred questioned hoping for good news but his heart sank deep in his chest when Caroline shook her head. He took another piece of tape and hung up another snowflake. "You think we lost her forever?" He asked.

Caroline shrugged picking up a box of fake snow, "there's still a chance for you if tonight goes accordingly." She sighed throwing the fake snow on the ground trying to cover it.

Fred looked over at her, "and you?" He asked.

She looked back at him with a slight smile, "all good things come to an end don't they?" She asked feeling her own anxieties taking over her thoughts.

Fred nodded getting the hint she didn't want to discuss her lack of friendship with Maddie. He noticed how her entire demeanor changed, he had honestly never seen the girl upset. The thought of her even crying seemed to not be real even though she cried all the time. Fred looked over the railings seeing everyone starting to walk over to the lake.

"Shit!" He exclaimed trying to gather his things, "I need to go get some bets rolling." He said grabbing his jacket and putting his hat back on. He looked over at Caroline who hadn't move and didn't look in any rush, "you coming?" He asked.

Caroline shook her head, "no I'll finish up here." She sighed continuing with her own tasks. Fred nodded taking his things and leaving the tower leaving Caroline alone in her thoughts.

She had been so in her head lately constantly thinking about Maddie. She knew that she should've told her right when she found out but she saw how Maddie looked after every note. Caroline couldn't have even imagined Maddie would react the way she did. She figured keeping her distance would be better than to beg Maddie to forgive her.

"Hey." Caroline turned looking over at her ex-boyfriend. She rolled her eyes putting her box down, "hey." She responded.

He sighed taking a seat on the steps, "really nice thing you got going here." He said putting his hands on his knees.

She nodded in agreement, "It was Fred's idea." She said sitting down besides him, "what are you doing here?" She questioned he shrugged looking over at her.

"Just wanted to see you." He said putting his hand on top of hers, she pulled back quickly looking away.

"No matter what you do I can't forgive you." She said grabbing her jacket and scarf, "so you can quit the nice guy act." She walked out not letting Blaise catch up to her.

She walked alone to the lake seeing everyone piled in seeing that it had already started. She stood by Neville who she thought was going to have a panic attack.

"Hey Caroline." She looked up seeing Cho waving at her.

"Hey Cho." Caroline responded fixating her eyes on the water.

Caroline noticed Neville's pacing had slowed down tremendously, "Neville what's the point of the task?" She questioned walking closer to him.

He timidly looked over at her, "uh they have to look for their treasure at the bottom of the lake." He said looking away.

"Must be something really special then huh?" Seamus Finnegan asking trying to get a peek into the water. 

Dean Thomas shrugged, "can't think of anything valuable in my possessions they could take." 

Caroline looked over into the murky water with fear, "I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that water." She said examining, the boys agreed. 

All of a sudden Fleur Delacour's head popped up from the water gasping for air. Everyone was shocked when they saw she was empty handed. She was crying about something to her own supporters that nobody could make out. 

"Her sister? Why is she crying about her sister?" Neville asked, the two boys shrugged but Caroline eye's widened joining them on the ground. The three of them exchanged confused looks with each other once she was next to them.

Caroline pointed down at the water, "what if her sister is down there? What if that's the treasure? It's not an object it's a person." She explained as the three boys started to understand. 

"So all of their treasures are people? Who's Harry's treasure?" Dean asked curiously. 

Neville looked around seeing both Ron and Hermione absent from the crowd, "well it's got to be either Ron or Hermione." He said obviously. 

"And Cedric?" Seamus asked. 

Caroline looked back seeing Cho standing with her own friends when it hit her. Her blood went cold and her eyes felt like they would shoot out of her head, "it's Maddie." 

Both Cedric and Maddie came up for air instantly after the realization. Maddie let out a big breath feeling like her head was about to explode. She looked over at Cedric who was cheering but she had never been more confused. She didn't know how she ended up here or what was going on. She was somehow in the lake with Cedric's hand tightly around her with her school uniform on. 

He pulled her towards the dock with no explanation. They were lifted up and Caroline ran over to them. She pushed Anthony Rickett out of the way bundling Maddie up in a blanket as Cedric celebrated being the first out. 

"Are you okay?" Caroline asked worriedly.

Maddie nodded wrapping herself in the blanket, "yeah I think I'm good." She said taking another deep breath. 

"Are you okay? I had no idea that was what was going to happen." Cedric said but Maddie shook her head trying to tell him she was fine. 

"I just need-"

Her back started to hurt and her knees began to go weak. All she saw before her eyes closed was her two best friend's worried faces as she fell back.