Twenty-Seven

Christmas break was well over and classes had started up again. Maddie still had only been talking to Cedric with a few brief conversations with her brothers. She hadn't seen Fred or any Weasley for that matter since Christmas Day. She was keeping her distance from everyone. She had even noticed that Caroline replaced her with Daphne Greengrass. Caroline had even completely stopped looking in Maddie's direction. Even Cedric could tell that Caroline was distancing herself from him too.

Cedric had caught her looking down at the ground as if she hadn't seen him. He was starting to get offended by it. Maddie on the other hand kept saying she didn't care but Cedric knew that she did. Everyone knew that the three of them were best friends so to see that one wasn't around the others it was too obvious. The Hufflepuffs were even missing the absentee of Caroline and her sarcastic remarks.

As Cedric walked down the bridge from his conversation with Harry Potter he saw Caroline, Daphne, and Theo Nott walking together. Caroline looked up to see Cedric looking at her, her eyes widened. She tried to avoid eye contact as they walked by but her efforts came up short when she felt someone's grasp on her arm. She was quickly pulled away from the two other Slytherins.

"Cedric! What the hell?" She yelled hitting at his hand to let go.

He looked at her but not loosening his grip, "what are you doing?" He questioned stopping his feet from moving and dropping his hand from her arm.

She rolled her eyes fixing her green scarf, "I was going to class until you pulled me away." She said smartly.

Cedric scoffed, "you know what I mean, you haven't looked Maddie's way in days and you haven't spoken a word to me."

"She needs you more than I do." Caroline said honestly, Cedric didn't understand. The Slytherin groaned not wanting to explain further, "Ced if it came down to the two of us you'd choose her everyday." Caroline said.

Cedric was even more confused, "that's not true."

Caroline shook her head laughing, "I love you Cedric I really do but everyone she trusts backstabbed her you're the only one who hasn't," she said softly while looking down, "I can't blame anyone but myself and until she's ready to forgive me I can't do anything." Cedric's face fell seeing how emotional Caroline was getting over her lack of friendship with Maddie. He moved closer to her engulfing her in a hug.

He hugged her tightly as she sniffled back tears, "don't distance yourself from me." He said, Caroline looked up at him with a frown.

"She needs you more than I do right now." She forced a smile on her face letting go of the hug, "I'll see you around." She said quietly squeezing his hand before walking off.

Cedric stood there defeated as Caroline caught up with Daphne and Theo who had watched their entire interaction. Daphne awkwardly waved at Cedric noticing his glance, he nodded and waved back. He walked back into the castle truly fed up with what was going on. He walked up the stairs and made his way into the Hufflepuff common room. He walked over to Maddie's dorm looking for her.

Susan's head peaked out of the bathroom seeing Cedric walking by, "Maddie's in here!" She giggled Cedric shot her a confused look before walking into the girl's bathroom.

He looked up at Maddie with a gasp, she turned with a smile. "You like it?" She asked motioning to her new hair happily.

He widened his eyes walking over to her. He took the once brown hair in his hands and looked at it closely, "it's red!" He exclaimed in disbelief.

She nodded excitedly looking at herself in the mirror, "isn't it great?" She asked.

Her happiness over her hair brought a smile to his lips. He nodded playing with the newly dyed hair in between his fingers, "it looks really good Lena." Maddie's body jolted at the nickname.

It almost felt like some sort of poison to Maddie's ears. A nickname that Cedric loved to use made Maddie want to change her name entirely. Cedric shifted uncomfortably, "sorry." He said quickly, "listen I got to get going."

Maddie nodded, "see you later." She said quietly.

Cedric walked out of the bathroom with one thought on his mind, Fred Weasley. Cedric asked everyone who was walking through the corridor if they had seen him but nobody knew. He searched all over the castle for him feeling as though it was taking him years. His last spot was the library, he had walked by it many times already thinking it would be the last spot Fred Weasley would be in.

Cedric sighed walking into the library and looking around. There he saw at one of the tables studying with Angelina Johnson was Fred. Angelina was twisting her hair and looking lovingly at Fred. He on the other hand was staring down at the book and twiddling with his quill. Cedric walked over at stood in front of Fred.

"Can I talk to you?" Cedric asked, Fred looked up at Cedric jumping back slightly. Angelina just rolled her eyes knowing it had to do with Maddie. Fred's mouth was open slightly but with no words coming out.

"I uh no." Fred said quickly motioning to Angelina. Cedric looked over at Angelina who huffed, she closed her book and left the table. Cedric then smiled at her and sat down across from Fred who was looking more nervous by the second.

"Nasty bruise you still got there huh?" Cedric asked examining his left over injuries, Fred chuckled sitting back.

"You should see the other guy." He said calmly regaining some of his confidence.

Cedric fake laughed and Fred's smirk fell from his face, "you shouldn't have just given up." Cedric said raising an eyebrow, "I wouldn't have just given up."

Fred shook his head, "no she doesn't want me and anyways she'd be better off with you." He shrugged but Cedric shook his head. 

"It doesn't matter who is better for her, you're the one she wants!" Cedric exclaimed, "wow I really hated saying that." He muttered.

Fred bit his lip trying to fight his smile away, "you think she still likes me?" He questioned.

Cedric looked at him with a stupid expression, "would I be here if she didn't?" He asked honestly, "and if I were you I'd seek out Caroline's help." Cedric suggested making Fred laugh.

"Caroline? After the way she screamed at me after the Yule Ball?" He continued to laugh, he noticed Cedric's serious look, "oh you're serious."

"Dead serious." He confirmed getting up from his chair.

Fred jumped up trying to make him stay, "wait what do I have to do?" He questioned.

Cedric turned back to him, "I have full confidence the two of you will be able to figure it out." He smiled walking out of the library.

Fred sat back down with a huff looking around the library. His eyes fixating on the large record player Professor McGonagle had used during their dance lesson. A smirk came to his face as a light bulb went off in his head.