Twenty-Three

Ron, Harry, Padma Patil, and Pavarti Patril all stood awkwardly together by the staircase. Maddie and George were the first to walk down the steps and greet them. Ron looked like he would rather die than be here while Harry just smiled and waved. Harry looked over at Maddie thinking she looked stunning, Ron could have cared less.

"Wow Maddie I love you dress." Padma smiled eyeing the pink tulle.

Pavarti agreed, "where did you find something like that?" She asked in awe.

"Oh Caroline's brother sent it." Maddie smiled flattening the dress around her body. Ron turned to Maddie with annoyance as he heard the she devil's name. As he turned he caught sight of Caroline with her arm linked with Max, he said something to make her blush and look down.

"Wow." Ron muttered, Maddie's eyes widened and George let out a laugh. Ron caught what he did, "she looks awful." He said quickly clearing his throat.

Max and Caroline walked over to Maddie and George while Angelina pulled Fred the opposite way. Caroline had been sending Katie daggers every time she came close with Parker, her guilt was starting to consume her.

"Hi Padma." Max smiled, Padma's cheeks started to heat up. 

"Hi Max." She blushed looking down at the ground, "you look really nice." She complimented.

Caroline smirked looking over at Max who's own cheeks were turning pink. He chuckled nervously, "yeah you too."

Caroline looked over at Ron with a laugh, "what the hell are you wearing." She said in amazement of how terrible his robes were, "I can't tell who looks worse you or her." She laughed pointing at Katie who was standing off in a corner talking to Parker. Every time she looked over at Caroline she had a sense of panic.

Ron rolled his eyes looking back at Caroline feeling even worse in his robes, "sorry we can't all afford a nice sparkly dress." He muttered crossing his arms.

"No," she nodded in agreement, "but I'd rather wear a table cloth instead of your horrendous choice, I can tell you're the least favorite child." Caroline smirked looking over at George and Fred who's outfits were nearly as bad as Ron's.

Ron's face fell slightly looking away from the Slytherin, "let's go." He said to Padma tearing her away from her conversation with Max. Both seeming to not want to leave the other.

"Did I upset him?" Caroline asked sarcastically looking at Harry.

Harry nodded, "I think your presence bothers him enough." He said making Caroline shrug not caring.

"You want to head in?" Max asked Caroline nodded and they walked into the Great Hall.

Fred had his back against the wall as Angelina talked to Katie about how beautiful the Great Hall looked tonight. He wasn't even hiding his bored expression anymore. Parker had even noticed his odd demeanor and was becoming more concerned with him. His eyes were glued to Maddie who was laughing because George was making jokes. Jokes that he should be making.

"What's wrong with you?" Parker asked, Fred's eyes snapped to him. Parker was what was wrong with him.

"Wouldn't you like to know." He rolled his eyes pushing himself off the wall walking over to George. He came up behind George putting his arm around his brother with a smile plastered on his face. "Hi Georgie." He said.

George looked at his brother's expression confusedly and looking at Maddie who did not seem in the mood for him. She just turned her head as if he wasn't even there to begin with. Fred looked down at her wrist seeing her L bracelet on her, he smiled for real this time. She looked back to him seeing a genuine smile on his face looking back at her. Her stomach fluttered as their eyes met. His arms let go of George and he regained his posture.