Twenty-Five

It was Christmas morning and Maddie was staring at the ceiling. She woke up the next morning with a pounding headache and crusty mascara flaking off her skin. She didn't even want to see herself in the mirror. Fetty purred in annoyance as she moved her position, she rolled over anyways.

There on her nightstand was another envelope but this one was bigger than before. It wasn't just a little note, inside there was an actual letter. She sat up grabbing her glasses and taking the letter out of the envelope. The writing was even different than before.

Dear Lena,
I want you to know how sorry I am, I didn't mean for this to end the way it did. I shouldn't have gotten George involved either or Angelina. George wrote the notes not me, I told him what to write and then I would find Fetty. This was all my fault and please don't blame anyone but me. I was too afraid to tell you about my feelings because I didn't know how you felt. I never meant to make your feelings feel less than they were.

Honestly you were right too, I made no effort with you face to face. When I did I was shut down instantly and I couldn't take that shame. So I thought the notes would be something that could have brought us closer together but again, I was wrong. That doesn't change how I feel about you though. I've accepted the fact we can't be together and I'm sure your brother's black eye shows can confirm it for you.

My full name is Frederick Gideon Weasley, that's where Rick came from. I found out that your full name was Maddalena Marie Burns thanks to Dumbledore's extensive records of his students. Caroline had no part in my master plan to make you fall in love with me, she just told me she found out. I think deep down inside she wanted it to work and that's why she didn't tell you. It also wasn't her secret to tell it was mine and for that I appreciate her.

When I see you Maddie, I don't see the sad girl I ran into on the train. I don't even see you as my best friends' little sister. I see you as who you are, a strong woman that I know will take the world in her hands. You deserve better than who I am and I'm sorry for making you question yourself. I'm also sorry for ruining your Yule Ball.

Please keep the bracelet.
Always,
Fred Weasley

Maddie picked up the envelope seeing the bracelet that she had thrown at Fred the night before. She held the gold chain in her hand closing her eyes. She threw the gold bracelet in her drawer and tossed the letter to the ground, she didn't care. Fetty jumped from the bed and took the letter in his mouth placing it on the beside table. Maddie looked over at Fetty rolling her eyes.

She got up from her bed and walked to the bathroom where she was brought face to face with her appearance. Her face was puffy and red, the running mascara looking better than she had thought. She took her glasses off and splashed water on her face. The cold water hitting her face sends chills down her spine. She looked back up at herself seeing the mascara gone.

She stood up taller and just stared. The more she stared the more she felt like her world was collapsing. Her thoughts consuming her, she felt so alone. There was nobody in her life she could trust anymore. She opened her mouth and screamed, she just screamed. Tears started to stream down her face again as she lifted a nearby soap bottle.

She threw the soap bottle at the wall and watched it make contact with the wall. It broke open and feel to the ground with a splat. The wall and floor now had been stained with soap that was oozing out of the bottle. Maddie felt herself falling to the ground with nobody to catch her. She let herself fall on her back but soon shifting to her side as more tears fell from her eyes.

She couldn't breath her body telling her she was suffocating. Her eyes were so fuzzy with the account of tears and her lack of eye sight in general. She looked up at the ceiling and tried to deep breath but her breaths kept coming short making her head hurt even more.

"Make it stop." She cried out putting her hands up to her head.

"Maddie? Maddie!" Someone exclaimed from the other room rushing in. From what she could see above her was Cedric peering down at her. He picked her up in his arms and brought her to her bed. He situated himself behind her with his legs on either side of him. Her head was on his chest as she tried to catch her breath. "It's gonna be okay."

He looked over at her bedside table taking the letter in his hand. He brushed his hands through her hair trying to calm her. He honestly felt bad for Fred, he knew he meant no harm and that he had feelings for Maddie. Cedric knew too well of how it was on the other side of the Burns brother's wrath and it was not something he would ever want to go back to.

Maddie shifted in between his legs looking up at him with sad eyes, "I want my mom." She whispered breaking his heart. He frowned and nodded putting the letter down and wrapping his arms tightly around her. She tried to muffle her cries but it was no use, they came out anyways.

It was a hard day for Maddie, on top of everything going on with Fred and the night before, it was her first Christmas without her mom. It was also her first Christmas away from home without her father there. She had an unsettled guilt in her heart knowing that her and her brothers weren't there with him.

She'd always start her Christmas mornings being awoken by the smell of eggs and bacon. Her dad would have a whole breakfast cooked before they had even opened a single present. It was his favorite thing to do. Her mom would shake each of her children awake and wouldn't take "go away" from a grumbling teenager as an answer. It was something so special to them all. Her mom would always take a million pictures of each of them opening up their gifts.

Cedric looked down again at Maddie who was trying to calm herself down. She was taking deep breaths and looking at the ceiling. Cedric rubbed her arm up and down hoping to ease some of her mind. He heard her deep sigh, "I feel like I'm suffocating." She said sitting up looking over at Cedric. Fetty curled up in Maddie's legs warming her up.

Cedric put his hand over hers, "I know it feels like everything is falling apart but I promise you it's not." He said trying to make things better for her knowing his words probably felt insignificant.

A frown took over Maddie's face, "how do I even forgive her?" She said feeling more tears coming on.

He shrugged, "she thought she was protecting you, she's selfish but I don't think she ever meant to hurt you like this." He said wrapping his arm around her and pulling her close. She sniffled wiping away tears from her face, "you'll come out of this, I know you will." He whispered.