Fourteen

While Maddie had been in the library Caroline was scooping out the loud music coming from the Gryffindor common room. Her Slytherin friends had deserted her from their spot not caring anymore but Caroline had nothing better to do.

Footsteps in the near distance told Caroline that she was no longer alone. She pressed herself against the wall shielding herself from anyone coming. She noticed Maddie's dark hair bopping around as she walked up the stairs.

The idea of scaring Maddie soon crossed Caroline's mind as she smirked. Just as she would walk past, Caroline would jump out and yell. However Maddie kept walking away from where Caroline was. She watched as Maddie walked up to the Fat Lady and whispered something before the portrait hole opened. Caroline's mouth fell as her best friend walked into the Gryffindor common room.

So much for no more secrets.

Caroline walked over to the Fat Lady crossing her arms. The Fat Lady squinted her eyes towards Caroline with a scoff, "just like your brother sneaking around the Gryffindor common room."

"You could let me in." Caroline smiled innocently but the Fat Lady rolled her eyes.

"Password?" She questioned, Caroline was out of luck. The Fat Lady smiled with a "hmm", as if she had won a prize. 

The Slytherin ignored the portrait and trotted down the corridor. Nobody else was around not that she really wanted to spend time with anyone but feeling a tinge of annoyance at Maddie's disappearance. She walked all the way down to the infirmary seeing Madam Pomfrey removing Cedric's bandages. 

"What are you doing?" Caroline asked worriedly running over to the foot of his bed, "are they ready to come off?" 

"Ms. Reeves you shouldn't be here right now." Madam Pomfrey said sternly looking up at the girl and pointing towards the door. 

"No," croaked Cedric, "let her stay." He pleaded.

Caroline's eyes widened at his voice with a smile, she was in shock. He looked over at her returning the smile and pointed at the chair next to him. Madam Pomfrey looked between the two friends and nodded, "you have half an hour." She instructed Caroline nodded thanking her as she removed the rest of Cedric's bandages and walked out of the room. 

"You look like shit." She pointed out sitting down in the chair.

"Mmm thanks for cheering me up." He said groggily, "did I come in last?"

Caroline shook her head, "there was a tie for first between Harry and Krum, Fleur I guess did so bad your fire stunt gave you second place." She answered, "you gave us quite the fright Ced." 

Cedric nodded slowly grabbing for Caroline's hand squeezing it, "I'm sorry, where's Maddie?" He asked. 

"I saw her walk into the Gryffindor common room, I really don't know what she's up to these days but-"

"She's sneaking around with George." He said quickly making Caroline laugh.

"George?" She questioned still laughing looking over at Cedric, her face fell when she realized that he wasn't laughing, "you're not serious!" She exclaimed.

"I saw them talking in the corridor the other day." He said with annoyance lacing his every word as he thought back. 

Caroline laughed again, "and did you see George's face?" She questioned. 

He looked over at her confused, "no but I saw-"

"You saw Fred." Caroline said making Cedric's jaw dropped. "You knew?" Cedric questioned his friend making her roll her eyes and let out a groan, "how did you know?"