Chapter Fourteen

(Credits to Hozier for this amazing song. The song is called Wasteland, Baby!)

Alexandria's P.O.V

We were tucked within the shadows of my room. The steady rise and fall of his chest was the only thing I focused on.

Just keep breathing, Castle.

The fairy lights above dimly casted down their rays, giving me just enough light to where I could see him.

I was hoping he'd wake up soon. I had been sitting here for hours, patiently waiting to lock violet with ember.

My touch scrapped through his hairline, moving some back into place.

It was easy to tell...he was dreaming again. Or, having nightmares. Frank's breathing became erratic, uneven. It was followed by a pained snarl, his fingers curling the covers.

I moved my hand down to his face, shaking it slightly.

"Come back to me, Castle."

He snarled again, eyes fluttering rapidly.

"Punisher..." I leaned down, expecting him to hear me. To calm down, and enjoy a soft wake up.

No. I was wrong.

His hands were immediately around me, eliminating the chance of an escape. Castle was in a dazed state, unsure, and confused.

"C-CASTLE!" I almost shrieked from being scared so badly. His grip on me was so tight...like he was holding on for dear life.

Both were on my arms.

His glare met my terrified shock...he was doing what I had done to him so many days ago.

Studying.

Soul-searching...seeing where I had been, where I was, and where I was going.

And just like that, the grip loosened from my arms.

"Alex..." He said breathlessly.

"G-Good morning, I guess."

His hands fell off of my arms, finally giving me the freedom to get away. Escape.

I sat up, but had no intention to leave him. I still had a promise to keep.

Gazing at me from his low perch, a kind of...familiar disappointment flashed in his face. Not just his emotion, but physically too.

As he tensed, Frank quietly asked me...

"D-Did I hurt you...?"

"No, you only surprised me."

The bed creaked as his weight shifted. He was now sitting up, casting a soft shadow over the majority of my being.

"You seem pretty shaken up."

"It's okay...you were waking up from a bad dream. We've all had them."

"No, it's not." He matched my soft tone, voice barely audible.

"Do you...wanna talk about the dream?"

"It was 'bout the forest. 'Bout the people after us, everythin'. I have to know, is...is Gunner dead?"

Slowly, I nodded.

"Micro reported the body."

"He did?" Frank asked, surprised.

"Mhm. Gunner's getting the funeral he deserves. You don't need to worry...rest now, Frank."

That was close enough. I had to leave, it was already becoming dangerous.