Chapter Thirty-Nine

Author's Note:Arsonist's Lullaby - Hozier

The end of season one is coming up in this chapter! We'll have some intermission chapters between, but not many :D the second season will be written soon! Also, this chapter will be a long one, like REALLY long so...

Enjoy!

Also side note - I changed a few scenes.

_____________________________________

Alexandria's P.O.V

The clock had struck 10:30 P.M.

I had gotten ready hours ago, when I had woken up. Work for the restless, I guess...

The guns, grenades, and all that we needed was packed into the van. My new armor was on, secured, and fastened. It fit perfectly.

Everything was ready...well...almost everything.

Frank was knocked out, limbs sprawled out over the entire mattress. I giggled to myself, and sat down by his side. The steady rise and fall of his chest remains deep - undisturbed.

Unfortunately for him, it's time to wake up.

The tips of my fingers trace the outside of his ear, and graze down to the jawline. Subtly, there's a twitch at the corners of his mouth, causing a smirk.

Castle mumbles something, the words coming out quiet, and hazed. Sleep talk most likely...but it was impossible not to hear my name in it.

Once again, I scrape a caress down his jawline, and put it to rest at the center of his abs. The tense that happens in his muscles are a jolt, electric - an obvious indication that he woke up.

"H-Huh-" Frank's grip on me is iron tight. His breathing quickens and becomes panicked. "W-What's happenin', w-where..."

We lock eyes. Those ember, wildfire-esk irises take a moment to adjust, but when they do - I'm rendered helpless by the burn. The rise and fall in his chest slows, and his tensed muscles relaxed...and it was all backed with that smile of his.

It was almost as if he was relieved to see me still by his side.

"Hey there, sleepy-head..." I whisper, leaning down to his level. Swinging around his hand, he rests it firmly on the center of my back...all to hold me close.

The Punisher lets out a soft yawn, fluttering those dark and tired eyelids to keep him from sinking back into sleep's hold.

"Mm - what time is it...?"

"10:30 P.M...you looked exhausted, so I let you sleep in while I handled everything."

Frank finally fully opens his eyes again, gazing at me with such a sincere and vulnerable look.

"C'mere..." He rumbles, taking the hold that was once on my wrist and then placing it on the back of my neck.

There's no resisting, or refusing it...but it wasn't like I was ever going to fight against him.

Every time he kisses me, I'm thrown back to those memories. To those eternal moments, singed in time.

Instinctually, I reach out and press into one of those throwbacks. The arrow he had saved me from left a small rise of darkened skin - the scar from the impact.

I never thanked him for saving my life that day. Or ever. The kiss is broken, but I don't leave. Instead, I rest my head up against his...

"I never thanked you." I start.