Chapter Fifteen

Alexandria's P.O.V

New York was always such a beautiful place, come November. Christmas decor was already being hung around Town Square, trees adorned windows...

And I was left there, alone on a snowy rooftop. Well, I wasn't alone, physically that is.

Styx was in front of me, the cold wind pushing against his coat and large collar.

"It's nearly nigh for you, my dear." He smiled warmly. It didn't help me feel any less unnerved.

"I can't yet. The monster who murdered my parents is still out there, and...we found Punisher. Lieberman and I have been working tirelessly with him, and I can feel us nearing something!"

"Conflict, Alex. You're nearing conflict..." He shook his head, disappointed. "You know, when I found you all those years ago, I saw massive potential in you. However, now, I can only see faults I must eventually correct."

"What are you talking about-"

"Castle has put a spell on you." The staff he carried around firmly stuck into the ground. "My scouts told me. They recorded the conversation and everything."

The anger seeped through me.

Controlling my life is one thing...but I'm not dragging Frank into this.

He can spy on me all he wants, till his heart's content...but I'm DONE being on standby for Styx's private war.

I'M DONE! DONE WITH HIM, DONE WITH THIS STUPID OMINOUS THREAT! HE CAN'T EVEN GIVE ME AN ORGANIZATION!

I'M DONE BEING USED!

"Listen, Alex. He's a distraction...you and me, along with your brothers and sisters are a part of this war-"

"No...I'M...NOT..." My knuckles whitened as the fists I made tightened.

"What did you just say? I don't think I heard you correctly..." Styx snarled.

"NO I'M NOT! YOU SAY I AM, YOU'VE SAID IT MY ENTIRE LIFE! WELL WHAT IF I WANT SOMETHING DIFFERENT!? WHAT IF I WANT CASTLE!? SCREW YOU, STYX!"

"ALEXANDRIA-"

I turned away.

"Tell your goons that you've sent to monitor me, to back off. Or I WILL shoot on sight. Don't text me, don't even look my way...we're done."

"Alex, think about this! Everyone you love, this world, it's all gonna die."

I stopped, the foot steps no longer echoing.

"Everyone I love is already dead. The one person that matters to me is still alive. Goodbye, Styx."

And I left. Against it all, I would always choose Frank...he treated me like I was human, LIKE I MATTERED.

So long, Styx. I hardly knew you.

__________________________________

The Factory was more welcoming now. I was...excited, to enter it.

"I'm back!" I announced. Micro poked his head out of the kitchen.

"Welcome back. What did Styx want?"

A sly smirk spreads across my face.

"Cut ties with him."

"Frickin' finally. That guy gave me the creeps...but uh, are you sure he fully let you go?"

"No clue. Oh well, I can handle myself up against him."

"Was Daredevil there?"

"Nah, they split up long ago. Styx kind of just...appears when he needs us. But that won't be happening anymore - I hope. Well," I quickened my pace, nearly in a speed walk as I approached the room. "I'mma check on Frank."

"Have fun..." He chuckled darkly.

I rolled my eyes, disappearing within the dark corridor. My door was slightly cracked, so I just figured I could walk in.

Or...no, I should knock first.

My knuckles hit the door, the knock rattling the wood slightly.

"Frank? Can I come in?"

There was a grumble in response, so I took that as a yes. As the door fully opened, and I strolled in...it only took a single glance to stop me dead.

The Punisher's muscles stretched and tensed as he tried to pull over a different shirt. Every stretch, flex, ripple...it was maddening.

No matter how hard I tried, the air that had been knocked out of me wouldn't return.

The only thing returning was the hammering in my chest.

The black fabric soon covered what I had grown so fond of seeing. However, now...I was trapped.

Frozen, like a statue.

Swiftly, he tossed a glance my way. It wasn't the soft, curious gaze I had gotten accustomed to. His glare was something entirely different.

He stayed silent, but it spoke volumes. I knew exactly what Castle wanted to know, so, the words just came out naturally.

"I-I had business with an old friend," The footsteps I left as I moved forward were hesitant. "That Styx guy I told you about...I cut him out. He was only using me in the long run, so...you get the picture. It's done with...at least, I hope."

He extended his arm and hand out to me, softening up his rigid and hostile attitude. The Punisher's eyes subtly scanned me up and down, and was easily able to tell that I was nervous.

"C'mere, Darlin'."

Meeting his eyes again, I didn't see that menacing look any more. It changed once again, friendlier...but still stern.

Taking it, our fingers intertwined in an unbreakable lock. A prominent blush seared over my nose, and to conceal it, I twist my head to the open side of the room.

And that's when I noticed it.

Micro's pawned off guitar sat in the corner of the room, glistening from the dim light. The black guitar had a shine to it. It drew me in, and once I was in...I was all in.

"You play?"

"Uh - yeah...a little bit. Micro's just lettin' it collect dust, so I gave 'er a little attention."

Turning back towards him, I got close. Real, close.

"Will you play a song for me?"

"Oh, I don't know," Frank smirked down on me, grazing his velvety soft lips across mine. "I only take requests if I'm gettin' somethin' in return..."

"Like...?"

"Let me kiss you again, and then I'll play whatever song your heart desires."

Hear a song from Frank, for a small kiss? That doesn't sound too bad.

"Okay," I sat deep in thought for a moment. And then it came to me. "Work Song, by Hozier."

"Deal."