Chapter Thirty-Six

Author's note:Frank's Farewell - Tyler Bates

I love writing these long chapters regarding Frank and Alex's relationship and what they go through. So, this'll be another one of those :D

Enjoy ^^

____________________________________

Alexandria's P.O.V

A cold bed.

The emptiness of an unweighted mattress.

I jolt awake, screaming his name. Well, attempted to. The ache and weakness that held me captive also clung to my throat...all that escaped was dead air.

The pain in my side was better. Not searing, but agonizing enough to cause waves of a less intense burn.

I'm sitting up now, struggling to hold myself up. I feel so heavy...and there was no burly Marine to keep me level.

But there was a Devil.

The door is swung open, and in comes Matt Murdock. Not a word leaves him, but he's by my side in a matter of seconds, now the one thing holding me up.

"M-Matt..." I let my head drop onto his shoulder, the soft silk of his shirt nothing like the armor I had grown so accustomed to. A sob leaves me, and I take in a sharp gasp to give another one fuel.

He buries his face next to mine, whispering calmly into my ear.

"Shh, shh...it's alright. You're just fine, Alex. You're all patched up."

Bandages wrapped my chest, and all the way down to my lower waist. The kiss of the bullet left a small bloody mark on the gause underneath...that's gonna leave a scar.

I fall into the deep embrace, keeping my brother in arms as close as possible.

"W-Where is he...? Matt," I raise my eyes up to those red glass lenses of his. "Don't your dare lie to me. Is he dead?"

"No. He's on his way as we speak."

He survived.

The tremors crawl up my spine, nerves, and shook me to the core. Happiness. Hope. Relief. It all hit me at once.

"W-We made it..."

"Yeah. You two did. And you barely needed our help...I'm proud of you, Alexandria," He cooed. "You're a survivor. Strong-willed...and a fighter."

For the first time in hours, I cracked a fleeting smile.

"Thank you..."

"Anytime...I'll always be there to save those who need it. No matter what. And I'll save you again, when the time comes."

A sneaking suspicion then crawled up my spine.

"Matt?" My smile fades.

"Mm?"

"Why does this sound like a goodbye?"

The Devil of Hell's Kitchen removes me from his embrace, his free hand scrapped through my hairline once it was free. There was no escaping his eyelock, and I had no intention to.

"Because it is. For now, at least. Don't worry, Claire will be looking after you."

"Will we ever see each other again?"

"I'm sure of it."

His touch scraps down my jaw, and rests on my shoulders for a second...but then, he begins to leave.