Chapter Forty

Author's Note: No More War to Fight - Tyler Bates

   _____________________________________

Alexandria's P.O.V

Stitching the wounds in my shoulder didn't take long. It stung and ached, but nothing I wasn't used to.

Giving me some new clothing didn't take long either. Just an old t-shirt and some basketball shorts.

The hospital bed I was stuck in was somehow colder then the silver cuffs around my wrist. I was so bored, pulling the chain of the cuff just to see it move. Yeah, the only entertainment I had gotten these past few hours was watching the shift and shine of a dull chain.

It was that bad.

I guess it was mandatory, with us being at the scene and - well, Madani. So, I couldn't blame them for chaining me down and such.

But seriously, if I have to sit here another hour, I'm taking the bed railing with me and busting out of here with Frank.

"Okay, Alexandria," I say to myself, tensing up my arm as I prepared to jerk the bar loose. "It's just a railing...you've broken a rusty chain before, this shouldn't be too different..."

Okay...one...two...THR-

The door swings open in the nick of time. If it had been a fraction of a second later, the railing would've been destroyed right in front of whoever walked in.

And whoever walked in was definitely someone I wasn't on good terms with. The attire he was in, the smug look on his face - and a Homeland Security badge tying the entire ensemble together...I was in for a real treat.

"Greetings, Ms.Dalton. I don't think we've had the pleasure of meeting yet - I'm Rafael Hernandez, Director of Homeland Security Operations...a friend of Agent Madani," His smile was warmer then the cuffs, that was for sure...but I was tired of the sappy introductions, and just wanted to get out of here. "That was some nasty business you and Castle got in...but nonetheless..."

Hernandez walks over, a muted jingle of keys coming from his hand. The key to the cuffs slips into a cusped hold, and finally...the weight of the metal slips off my wrist.

"Thanks," I say, gradually recoiling my arm back to my being. "I was this close to having the officers outside charge me for destruction of property. I guess you saved them a lot of paperwork."

The Homeland Agent lets out a muffled chuckle.

"Well," He begins. "Thanks to you and Mr.Castle, Billy Russo was apprehended with ease. He's currently in a comatose state, with little hope for full recovery. Or...even waking up."

"Good. Russo won't hurt anyone ever again."

"That's the idea," Rafael gives a nod of agreement. "And we want to keep it that way with all of our vigilantes in New York...I'm sure Castle has relayed all of this information to you, yes?"

"Don't worry, Ralph. We were planning to leave New York anyway. Running together to who know's where..." It felt good to say those words out loud. I was holding onto this love with two hands, and was way too stubborn to let go now.

"Well, wherever that is-"

"Is none of your business." That gruff growl made Rafael's blood run cold. It was easy to tell, because his face paled like nothing I've ever seen before.

The Punisher walks in, locking eyes with Rafael.

"One thing's for sure - I am not gonna miss you, Castle. Especially that ambush, it makes me jump out of my skin," Hernandez shifts his shoulders and shuffles his feet, as if he was resetting himself from the spook Frank had caused. "But I hope you and Ms.Dalton have happier lives...just, you know, miles away from here."