Chapter Thirty-Three

Author's note: Union Allied - John Paesano

________________________________

Alexandria's P.O.V

I anxiously tapped my foot on the carpeted floor. Frank and Madani had been in there for what seemed like an eternity...and it was killing me.

What was Madani planning? Was Frank in trouble? Was he being taken away...?

Ugh, all of this waiting was killing me. And killing me slowly.

"Hey," Matt twirled his baton around his fingers. "Stop that, it's like you're constantly banging trash can lids together."

"Oh, right." I forced my foot to a stop. "Sorry..."

He hopped off the table he was sitting on, and joined me.

"It's no problem - just, the noise started to get a little grading," The rough and catching texture of his glove comes down on my shoulder. "That's the downside of my powers, I hear everything."

"Can you hear what she's saying to Frank?"

"Mhm."

"Is it bad?"

"No. Nothing he can't handle, Alex."

Glancing out the glass wall, there was nothing that could tear my eyes away from the interrogation room. Matt pulls me close, looking on with me through red lenses.

"Well...I have an attorney lined up for him, just in case."

"Avocados at Law..." I cooed, leaning my head on the side of his chest. His breaths were deep, calm - along with the rhythmic pound of his heart.

Matt's mouth curved into a sly smirk.

"Avocados at Law."

We watched the bustling walkway full of Homeland Agents...but all of my attention was on that room.

The interrogation room was frozen in time. All of the people walking by were just blurs.

Silence followed. Agonizing, muffled silence...my heart was a bird, fluttering in an iron steel cage.

"All I can do is wait for him," The tone in my voice was timid, and quiet. "But it's so hard when he's right there - probably yearning to be released. We're so close, and yet...it almost feels like the entire length of Hell's Kitchen rests between us..."

The Devil of Hell's Kitchen listens intently.

"Every time he walks out to do a job, a thought runs through my head. That he won't be coming back," The memories of him wounded...saving me...saving himself...it all comes back to me. Full force. "I-I don't like those thoughts. I love him so much, and it nearly kills me when he sends me away...I know he's protecting me, but-"

Murdock stops me before I divulge deeper into my fears.

"I wouldn't either...maybe you should be telling this all to him, rather than me."

"Well unfortunately, you're the only person here to listen. And I doubt he'd ever stop on my account. I haven't been able to stop him before...why now?"

His hand slips down my arm, the rough and grided texture of the glove was unexpectedly a friendly touch.

"Frank will see it hurts you. That he's hurting you. Before you go after Russo and Rawlins, get it off your chest. Before it's too late."

"...Fine. But Lieberman's family comes first. We'll make a plan, and then I'll tell him." I let out a puff of air, and let it last for a few fleeting seconds.