Chapter 8 - "House-Rules"

Blake’s pov:
I gather all of my belongings from the past three years, which is hardly anything, and then walk with Kate holding her hand towards her house. From the cave and to the clearing it takes us about ten minutes of walking before I see the big house in front of us. The moment I step out of the woods and for every step that I take towards the house, my heart his beating harder inside my chest and the sweat in my hand is evident as I’m holding Kate’s hand. She squeezes it gently, calming me down somewhat, but the safety I’ve lived with seems lost.

- You’re going to be alright, Blake. You’ll get used to it.

She says quietly as I spot her mother standing by the door, waiting for us. Gray, the Beta, is standing to her left with his arms in a cross as one can tell he’s visibly dissatisfied with her decision. I can tell we’re going to have quite a ‘relationship’. The Luna is more reserved on her emotions which makes it hard to read her. Gray takes off as we make it to the entrance of the house.

People are gathering by the front door, looking and pointing at me while whispering among themselves. I know it’s about me. What else can it be? We walk through the door and the pressure on my chest is just rising, as it’s just me, Kate and her mother.

- This is the main-room. The pack gathers here for social-events of different characters several times a week. Behind the door in the far right corner over here is the kitchen.

Her mother says as we continue towards the stairs past the open living-room. Kate walks up in front of me and I follow her up the stairs before grabbing her hand at the top.

- The bathrooms are down the hall, but then again, seeing that you’ll be sharing the room with my daughter, you’ll be sharing the private one with her.

She says that with a judgmental voice, judging me for something particular that hasn’t even happened yet.

- Thank you for the insightful tour, mother.

Kate lets out. I look over at her raising an eyebrow. She smiles weakly before turning back towards her mother.

- I’ll take it from here.

She says as she pulls me with her through her bedroom-door. Her mother says nothing as Kate closes the door and I feel like I can finally breathe again. I sit down on the bed as Kate comes over and sits down next to me, casually swinging her legs on top of my lap and I hold on to them.

- You look really pale

She lets out as I gently rub her legs while going back to my thoughts. I look over at her with a brave smile, but I don’t have much strength to hold it.

- I felt as if I was holding my breath ever since I stepped out of the woods and saw the house. You saw them down there, right? They were looking and whispering about me killing your father. Hell, some of them even had that kind of look that…

I start, but I manage to stop myself from just rambling on as Kate sits closer to me and places her hand on my cheek. I turn my head towards her as she places a soft kiss on my lips.

- No one is going to get to you here so try to relax, okay? Once my mother has let you inside the house, no one can hurt you. She’ll punish them and…

She goes on and I wince the moment she says that word. When she stops she realizes her choice of word and looks at me apologetically. I simply give her a kiss on the forehead to let her know I know she didn’t mean anything by it.

- I know, but it doesn’t mean that people won’t look at me like they did, whisper about me…it doesn’t mean that Gray is going to go out of his way of making it comfortable for me to walk around in this house. He’s going to make sure I know that he’s watching me.