Chapter 17 - "Claim Me"

Blake’s pov
I’d like to point out the fact that my Alpha-blood allowed my healing-process go by faster than anybody anticipated. Already on the next day, I was strong enough to walk around without help. My right hand was also healing and getting much better than what it has been for the last three years. It hasn’t twitched a single time. Apparently, the new injuries made it easier for the healers to fix it, ironically enough.

After a few more days, I was allowed to move back up to Kate’s room, but still maintain a steady recovering-process by not exhausting myself. I haven’t transformed into my wolf yet, but I know he’s still there. He’s helped me stay alive for all this time and there was no way he was just going to leave me now either. They advised me a week or so before I could transform into my wolf again.

After about a week of just sitting still in Kate’s room, I’ve been allowed to participate more in the physical training, but it’s only been gradually as I’m still not quite strong enough. I’m more than strong enough for the ones in the pack, but Fagan is a far greater challenge than any of them put together. I’ve told Gray and the Luna everything about him and what he plans to do. The entire pack is much more aware of the surroundings than they used to be because I can’t give them a definite timeline. However, they’re always ready.

Kate’s also been more fierce in her training. In fact, I don’t remember having seen her train like that before and I must say, I’m glad I’m not going up against her. She’d dismantle me right away, and by the way she moves, I’d gladly let her as well. I’m sitting one of the benches by myself, recovering from my own session as someone stops next to me.

- You must be enjoying the view, Blake…

Gray turns up and I grow a little more inwards. We haven’t really spoken since I was rescued. Of course I’ve thanked him after Kate told me what he did to save me, but I’m still a little wary around him as I don’t know if I can trust him or not. Kate does, I know she does and I don’t mind it, but I on the other hand have my rights to reserve myself a little bit around him.

- For as long as it lasts at least…

I answer somewhat restrained. He seems to notice as he sits down next to me in silence at first before I hear him sigh deeply.

- I know we haven’t really talked, much due to our rather rough start out in the woods three weeks ago, but I need you to know that it was never about you.

I turn my head towards him.

- A rogue killed my mate a few years before you killed Kate’s father. Ever since then I’ve had it out for any rogue I’ve ever crossed paths with. It was about the race, never about you as a person, Blake. I just felt like you and your past brought along nothing but trouble, but I should’ve known better when I saw how much Kate was hurting by you being gone…

I just sit there in my thoughts for a moment, although I’d be lying if I told you that my head was crawling with them. I’m just trying to digest what he’s saying. I’m not a fool, I understand where the guy is coming from, but at the same time, I find myself rather speechless about it.

- For what it’s worth, I do trust you. I’m not gonna make that mistake again and almost have you killed. If I had known who any of those guys were, I wouldn’t have told them shit. I just can’t stand to see Kate lose you. Seeing her in pain is one of those things that I don’t handle well.

I nod weakly.

- I get it, but…I don’t know about you yet, Gray. I’ve always been that way, not knowing who to trust or not and you gave me a pretty good reason not to. Building trust up between us is going to take time.