Chapter 2 - "Conflict of Interests"

Kate's pov:
The first thing I can tell when I look at him, is that he's a rogue. He's got no pack that he belongs to, which means he's been living on his own by whatever he can find. Looking closer, I can also tell that he's been alone for quite some time. There's a shade of loneliness covering his face. But the more I look at him, the calmer I get. I thought at first I'd be scared because he was a rogue, but I'm not.

- You're a rogue, aren't you?

He simply nods.

- That's quite a lonely existence...

I let out as he looks away from my gaze for a moment. We're about ten meters apart as I take a few steps closer to him before he turns his head back towards me, looking at me warily.

- I've lived quite a lonely life...

He answers as he turns his head slightly away again.

- I can see it...I see it in your eyes. It doesn't matter how hard you try to look away, I can still see it.

He looks back at me. My assumption of his loneliness is even clearer now that he's looking right at me. Despite of that however, he seems to have managed rather okay in the woods. He's not skinny or weak by the looks of it. He seems rather muscular if nothing else...

- You have spent the most of your life inside a pack. I'm actually surprised that you even notice.

He answers.

- Living in a pack doesn't mean that I don't know what loneliness is. A part of me has actually been missing for quite some time.

I answer first as he keeps is eyes on me, anxiously it seems. He must be wondering what I'll say next.

- What part is that?

It's almost like he wants me to say it. My heart is actually jumping frantically in my chest as he keeps his eyes on mine before tilting his head slightly to the side. Go on tell him, Kate! The wolf in me says eagerly.

- My other half, my mate...you I guess.

I answer as I let the words sink in. He looks slightly back and forth, apparently at a loss of what to say next. He fiddles somewhat around with his hands as I take a shorter step towards him. There aren't too many meters separating us. After a while a weak smile appears on his face...a smile of relief, I think.

- Noticing the pull...I knew I wasn't meant to live in this lonely existence anymore.

His tone reflects just the same as I thought.

- What's your name?

I then ask. Come on, it's not the most unnatural thing to ask my mate. I'm slowly trying to come to terms with this.

- Blake...you?

- Kate...

I answer as he just looks at me for a moment.

- Was it the pull that brought you out here?

He then asks as I sigh deeply.

- No, I think stopped here because of the pull, but it wasn't the real intention behind me coming to the woods.

I answer.

- Then what was it?

He asks curiously.

- My father...he died here three years ago.

Blake's pov:
My eyes widen up immediately after she's said that. It can't be! She's able to read something on my face, I know it. She's studying me and I'm not good at hiding my surprise. Does she see it, I wonder...