Chapter 27 - "Standing Still"

Blake’s pov:
I feel this hole inside my chest…a hole that starts to appear the moment I see the tip of the sword push through Gray’s stomach and he collapses to the ground. I can’t manage to make out a single word, physically or cognitively as he falls and I see Fagan stand behind him, fresh blood dripping from the tip of his sword. There’s a tornado forming inside of me and my wolf makes sure to take advantage of it.

He takes over me, making me switch into him as I attack Fagan before he even gets the chance to turn his hand. I bite his hand, crushing his wrist as he drops the sword and I throw him over against one of the trees with a violent force. He takes to his hand right away as my wolf stands above him, snarling at him as he’s incapable of getting up on his feet.

- Doesn’t matter if you kill me or not, Blake. The damage is done. It’ll be imprinted into your mind forever! You don’t scare me with your big bad wolf, Blake. Not. One. Bit.

He tries to say this confidently, but he’s not as confident as he was earlier. I turn back to my human-self and pick up the sword that lies next to my foot. I start walking towards him and I see that he starts to turn even more insecure as I get closer to him. I tighten the grip around the handle of the sword. My heart is pounding inside my chest and it hurts even more when I sense Kate’s pain as well as she sits there with Gray. A wave of pain hits me the moment I get to Fagan and I fiercely grab him by the throat and force him up against the tree.

- You see, it does matter that you’re gonna die now, Fagan! Do you want to know why? It ends…everything that you’ve put all of us through, will end with you.

I let out as I squeeze his throat so tightly that he starts to struggle for air. I don’t spare anything as my wolf is controlling me. I squeeze harder and harder. I look him in the eyes before I thrust the sword through his chest. The fear that was once there, is replaced with this blank and distant look as I withdraw the sword and drop it to the ground as his body as well, falls to the ground…lifeless.

I catch my breath as I start to remember that I’m actually dizzy and that I’ve lost a lot of blood. My wolf is the one keeping me on my feet now, but even he’s getting tired. The pain in my chest is growing more and more intense for every second that passes as I look over at Kate, bending over Gray’s body.

- Gray, please wake up! Don’t die on me, please!

Alec is trying his best to get to him as well, but he doesn’t manage it. The feeling of hopelessness is starting to dominate inside of Kate, which ultimately means that it starts to dominate me as well. I make my way over to them after a while. Gray is fighting and struggling to breathe. There’s a small river of blood down from one corner of his mouth. I sit down next to Kate, placing my hand on her shoulder and place a weak kiss on the side of her head, but she’s only busy trying to keep Gray conscious.

- Gray, hey! You’re not going anywhere, you hear me? You’re gonna live…you’re gonna live…

She repeats merely in a whisper as I immediately put my arms around her and I bury my head against her neck as she leans slightly towards me. After a while, she turns her head towards me, as if she’s asking me about Fagan. She doesn’t have to use words.

- He’s gone…he’s gone for good. He won’t hurt us ever again…

I let out as I kiss her forehead softly before I notice Gray trying to grab my arm. I make sure to grab it right away as he looks at me. It’s that kind of look that…it’s almost as if he’s telling me, telling us, to just let him go. If he knows any sense, he’ll know that Kate won’t go for it. She’s never going to let him go without a fight. He tries to say something, but he can’t. He tries to control his breath as one of the other ally-wolves appears and sees what’s going on.