Chapter 25 - "Fighting The Haze"

Kate’s pov:
{- You are going to kill Blake Hanson.}

Those are the only words that I hear in this haze that’s surrounding me. I’m like a miniature version of myself being shut out from everything. I feel out of control. Whatever I’m doing, it’s not something I’m controlling myself. I’m helpless to stop myself from doing what that voice wants me to do. I don’t want to kill my mate! Hell, I don’t even want to lay a damn hand on him that would put any harm to him!

- No, I will not!

I scream into the vacuum surrounding me, but I can’t see or feel any response. This haze surrounding me blocks my abilities to withstand it. Instead of listening to my voice, my body seems to listen to that other voice that sends uncomfortable chills down my spine. I know it’s Fagan’s voice and now I’m going through the exact same thing as Blake. He wasn’t able to fight it, and I’m starting to think that I’m not able to either. My heart is beating like crazy inside my miniature self as I sense somehow I’m getting the upper hand on Blake.

- Stop it! He’s my mate!

I cry out, but the louder I do, the louder the echo that comes back to me. It’s almost as if it’s telling me that no matter what I do, I won’t be able to fight it. The worst part right about now is that I’m starting to believe it. I sit down and I see myself fighting Blake…the controlled me fighting Blake and I’m starting to think how I get to watch all of this when Blake said he didn’t remember anything. I’m sitting here watching him struggle to put any clean blows on me because I know he doesn’t want to hurt me.

- Wolf, please help me! Stop me from what I’m doing!

I cry out again, but I don’t hear her. She’s not anywhere inside of me. She’s under Fagan’s drug that I’m trying to fight. I get up on my feet and look all around, where this big and thick haze is just surrounding me. I’m about to reach out and touch it when a voice screams at me.

- Don’t touch it!

I immediately flinch and retract my arm, looking around myself but I can’t see anyone.

- Who are you?

I ask out, even though I’m coming to think that perhaps I should’ve started with ‘where’. I see nothing but darkness and haze around me.

- Someone you’ve only ever heard legends of…

That hardly gives me anything!

- That doesn’t give me an awful lot and I’m not up for playing games!

I answer firmly and somewhat stressed.

- Who I am does not matter right now. What matters is that you can trust me when I say do not touch the fog or else your mind will go completely blank. Your mate made that mistake and that’s how he didn’t remember any of the things he did. The fog is keeping you prisoner, luring you to touch it because you want to break free from it.

The voice answers as I look around myself.

- How do I get out of this then? How do I stop myself from killing my own mate?

I look through my apparent blind eyes and I sense the lack of control in me. I can’t control my movements and it just begs the question even more about how am I going to be able to stop myself from doing any damage to Blake. Apparently my skills are somewhat superior to his. He’s struggling to keep on his feet.

- The key is an inner calmness. There is no way you can physically fight your way through this fog, you have to think and feel your way out of it. It has to go all the way out to your fingertips and then you slowly take the little pieces of control that you get.