Chapter 13 - "A Call For Help"

Blake’s pov
After Fagan has spoken that last sentence, two wolves appear around Fagan and I immediately recognize their scents. I thought those were Rogue-Hunters all those times during the past three years. I’ve been wrong. They were working for Fagan! No wonder they seemed so eager to capture and torture me to death. They pretty much could’ve had they ever caught me because they’re way bigger and stronger than I am on my own.

When my eyes land back on Fagan, I get the feeling that he doesn’t want them to kill me, but rather help him kill me. He wants to be the one that puts an end to me, of that I’m sure. My first instinctual thought here and now is trying to outrun them, but my hand is still injured, my wolf’s paw won’t be able to keep that up, even though my chances right here are even smaller.

- Needless to say, stepbrother, you are going to die tonight. The question is if you’re going to make it easy or hard for me.

He goes on as he pulls up his sleeves and starts a circling movement as his two companions go back into their human-forms. I know that one transformation from Fagan and he’ll jump and attack me in less than a second. That much I remember from training in the pack.

- I’ll answer it plain and simple, Fagan: I’m not gonna go down without a fight. I don’t just live for myself anymore.

I answer as I drop my backpack on the ground and take off my jacket.

- I’m pretty sure that that somebody else, meaning you mate, has gotten over you by now. She’s never going to forgive the things that you’ve done.

He answers. I smile weakly at him as he doesn’t seem to know whom he’s talking about.

- That bond between two mates is way more complicated than that, Fagan. One way or the other we’ll find our way back to each other. Had you bothered to understand that, you would’ve known.

I answer.

- Well, then it remains to see if she can feel your pain

He gets into his wolf and jumps across the water for an attack. I have trouble reacting in time and he manages to scratch my shirt and leave deep scars on my chest. The blood is searing out as I need get down on one knee to recover. I’m already feeling dizzy.

- I’m disappointed, Blake. I thought after killing that Alpha three years ago that you were stronger than this.

I grit my teeth as I get up. Just unleash it, Blake, just for once. Let me handle that son of a bitch and his precious wolf. I’ll gladly make it slow and painful for him. I smile as I hear my wolf say that.

- I thought I’d give you the first blow. Now it’s my turn.

I turn into my wolf and let him take the controls. Fagan however counter-attacks and manages to bite my wolf’s bad paw. I whimper slightly as he throws me against a tree and leaves me unable to get up as I get back to my human-form and sense myself getting weaker and weaker. I try to transform into my wolf once more, but neither he nor I have the strength for it. I’m sorry, Blake. I just can’t. My paw… He answers.

They are standing three against one when I look up and I’m pretty sure I know how this is going to end. I just get this overwhelming feeling that I’m not gonna live to see the sunrise tomorrow. Fagan turns back to his human-form as I struggle to keep on my four limbs. A part of me wants to get up, but there’s too much pain and too little strength left in me. I can’t. I can’t hold myself up for much longer.

- I assume that you did let me have the first blow, but man, this was disappointing. I’ll be sure to give you your last blow, though. Brutus, Max, hold the man up on his feet.