Chapter 20 - "A Warning"

Blake’s pov:
As I see him open his eyes, the first thing he does is look at me like I’m some sort of ghost. He grabs a solid hold of my arm before he manages to say or do anything. Kate just looks at me confused as ever as Alec finally comes to it. It’s like I have to pinch him before he actually snaps back to it.

- Blake, is that…is that really you?!

He finally lets out.

- Yeah, it’s me, buddy, it’s me…

I let out as I try to shake him slightly so that he actually realizes that this isn’t a dream.

- But how? They…they said you were dead.

He says. I let out a deep sigh as I sense Kate’s hand grabbing around my arm for comfort.

- Is that what Fagan and his friends told you?

I ask him as I turn my attention back to him and he nods right away.

- Well, I can tell you that it was a close call, but I was found just in time, and as you can see I’m still here. What are you doing way out here though? This is far off from the pack’s territory.

I ask as I try to help him sit up, but his ribs are giving him trouble.

- I can start that entertaining story by letting you know that Fagan came back from somewhere and killed your old man. No offence, but he’s had it coming for quite some time. The sad fact is that Fagan is the only one who’s had the guts to do it. Anyways, after doing that, he demanded everybody’s loyalty and allegiance for an attack against the pack that killed you…well, supposedly killed you anyway…

He stops for a moment as he looks over at Kate and then sees Gray. I can tell that he’s turning rather insecure about them.

- Alec…Alec, it’s alright, they’re with me. They’re not going to hurt you.

I try to ensure him as I look over at Kate who’s a little unsure about all of this.

- Alec, this is my mate, Kate.

I say as they finally extend handshakes. I turn my head towards Gray who seems more attent on our surroundings. Alec turns slightly around to see him. Gray doesn’t seem to notice that the attention is on him.

- Who’s the overly excited body-guard then?

Alec lets out with a hint of sarcasm. He and Damian were always like that, I remember. Whenever they got away from their strict duties, they would go all sarcastic and pretending to be serious on my ass. That’s how the three of us actually coped with being in one of the most brutal packs in that area.

- His name is Gray. He’s the Beta of my mother’s pack, the Black Pack.

Alec’s eyes widens slightly.

- …which is the name of the pack that allegedly killed you.

He goes on. I nod.

- I know. Fagan came to these woods about a month ago and he tried to kill me. He probably thought he had succeeded when he came back to your pack and killed off my father. He wanted to use my death, to fuel the pack with fury and lust for revenge to attack my mate’s pack and kill all of them. However, none of this explains why you are out here.

I then say. Knowing Alec, he would’ve sworn revenge for the death of me or Damian…

- Some things haven’t really changed in the pack, Blake. I didn’t believe, Fagan Pretty much like I haven’t believed his words when you were around. He caught my suspicions obviously. He’s never really liked me so he had his buddies kill me…at least try to. I killed one and injured the other one, but I also got some injuries myself so I figured I’d run for my life. He’s been chasing my ass for the past week or so…