Chapter 5 - "Just The Two"

Kate’s pov:
I’m thankful that he doesn’t push this on. Making out with him just now easily could’ve led it to escalating to a certain point, but we stopped. I’m glad he doesn’t push me because I’ve got a lot of things to figure out before anything like that can happen. It’s all weighing so heavy on my shoulder so I’m glad he doesn’t add to it, but rather understands.

I place my hand in his as we get up from the rock and walk around the pond we’ve been spending the last hour at. There’s about a five-minute walk further into the woods when he stops and pulls some bushes aside, revealing a cave.

- Here we are…

He holds back the bushes, and allows me to pass before finding a torch and to light up the cave. My first thought is how he’s barely got anything here…plus it’s drafty as hell and his jacket doesn’t come close to keeping me warm even when I pull it closer around my neck.

- A little too cold for you?

He asks me with a smile as he places the torch at a shelf in the wall before walking up to me and I lean against his chest. He puts his arms around me and I get to listen to his strong heartbeat.

- How do you even keep warm at night? No offence, but this jacket doesn’t exactly do me any good.

I let out as I sense him chuckle lightly. I look up at him as he separates from me and walks further into the cave, pulling two rugs of fur.

- You’re right, that poor thing doesn’t stand a chance against that cold draft, but these two do the job just fine.

He brings them both up to me and I touch it, immediately getting the feeling that this is going to keep me warm.

- Animal-fur…

I let out.

- Having lived by myself for the last three years, I’ve had to make sure to take advantage of every piece of the animal that I get my hands on. My first nights out here were cold yes, but once I got my head together, I managed to use the fur of the animals and sow it together to a rug like this. Sure it’s not the best quality, but it does the job.

He lets out as he places it on top of my shoulders and wraps it around me. Holy God, I can already feel the heat come back to my body.

- Better?

He asks with a smile.

- Much better…but, where do you sleep?

He picks up the other rug and guides me further in when I see a bed of…muscus? It’s quite a bed of it so it can’t be that bad. He puts the other rug on top of it before turning his head back to me.

- I sleep on top of that, and underneath the rug you’re wearing. It’s actually not so bad. It’s nice, warm and better than sleeping on stone-cold rocks.

He answers as I smile lightly to myself. This isn’t rocket-science. Blake…my mate, has made quite a home out of what he can find out here. If I’m honest I’m slightly envying him for just leading such a ‘simple’ life, but at the same time I know that it hasn’t been that easy.

- It’s really impressive…

I let out smiling lightly at him as he walks up to me and stops right in front of me. He’s slightly taller than me so I have to bend my head upwards to look at him.

- I know, right?

He grins cockily before he kisses me softly on the lips. My arms instantly reaches around his chest as he pulls me closer to his body. As our lips go dancing, my arms slides up his chest and ends up around his neck. His lips are soft and warm, craving the touch of my lips and I voluntarily give them to him before we share one last, deep and passionate kiss before we separate our heads slightly.