Chapter 24 - "The Bait"

Alec’s pov:
We made eye-contact briefly, Kate and I. She was having all of Fagan’s attention and she told me to go. I know she’s had her doubts about me, but I think she knows the moment I get out of here and put some distance between myself and the pond, I’m gonna be going straight back to Blake and tell him. At least she trusts me that much and I can assure you that that’s what I’m going to do.

How I manage to slip past the guards by the bushes is beyond me. Nobody in this entire pack of wolves catches my movements, not even Brutus…though I’m glad he doesn’t because me and him don’t really see eye to eye either way.

The needle that Fagan was holding scared the crap out of me, despite the fact that it wasn’t intended for me. I’ve never seen it before. I got fixed on the gold-ish contents of it, but for some reason it was as if I knew what it was. My wolf recognized it and wanted to emerge to stop Fagan, but I didn’t have the strength for it, much like I still don’t have it now. I saved whatever strength I had for this…well, not really, but it ended up like this. I’m gonna need everything I’ve got and even more. They’re gonna come after me eventually.

I’ve discretely managed to get to the bushes. Nobody seems to spot me as I look back at the pond, through the bushes. A part of me wants to just get back in there and get Kate out of there, but I’m hilariously outnumbered right now. When I snap out of it, I see Fagan exit the cave and look around, as if he’s looking for me.

- You can try to run all you want, but you’re not gonna make it out of the woods alive, scum!

He says out loud and I immediately know that it’s for me. Him calling me ‘scum’ is actually quite normal as he never got around to use my real name. Alright, wolf, now is the time to run like hell.  I let out and my wolf doesn’t protest as I turn into my wolf-shape and we start running like hell. I don’t even know these woods, which clearly is a disadvantage right now. I’ll have to look for Blake’s scent. He’s got to be out here noticing that Kate is gone. She probably called for him. She must have.

I hear branches twisting and breaking behind me as my wolf keeps his paws moving as fast as he possibly can. I’d tell him to hurry up even more, but the two of us are already pushing through a lot more than what we can. I was found in these woods less than 24 hours ago, having been on the run for the days. Alec, I can’t keep this up for much longer! My wolf says and I know what he means, but we can’t stop.

We end up stopping by one of the clearing and I turn back to my human-form, sitting down on one knee completely exhausted. I’m gasping for air and that’s not a good thing when I can hear someone coming closer and closer. Whoever that is, he is going to find me and I’m going to get myself killed because I barely have anything left to fight with. The movement in the bushes in front of me is getting louder and louder. I just brace myself at this point. Obviously I’m going to try and fight it, but…

Just as a wolf jumps out of the bushes, ready to put in a lethal bite in me, a different wolf jumps out of the shadows and head-butts the wolf from the side sending him straight against one of the trees. Another one shows up at the same time and goes after the wolf that has now turned back to his human form. The first wolf then turns its attention on me and I immediately get nervous.

- Alright, buddy, listen. I think we can make a solid deal here considering you just saved my life.

I let out as the wolf turns back into human form and I see that it’s Blake. How come I didn’t recognize his wolf? Right, I’ve never really seen him turn into it before. The other wolf, turns back to Gray as I hear Blake shrug in front of me.

- A solid deal, huh…how about you tell me where Kate is? Sorry, what I meant was: what the hell got into you getting her to take you into these woods in the first place! It’s crawling with rogues and God knows what else!