Chapter 22 - "Pain"

Kate’s pov:
Blake doesn’t let me out of sight for hours after what happened. He keeps asking me if I’m okay, and he keeps nudging my neck to keep it from becoming soar…I mean, he’s absolutely adorable about it, but I just sometimes feel like having my own space to breathe, you know? At the same time, I find myself rather curious about Alec. Despite that he tried to choke me to death, I want to talk to him on my own. I know that Blake will never accept it.

We go to sleep rather early because of what the day has brought. I guess I’m a little extra tired because of what happened, but I have no injuries that cause me any pain. I’m just a little tired. When it passes midnight, I turn over slightly to see Blake fast asleep. I guess this is it, isn’t it?

I slip carefully out of bed, pick up some clothes before I sneak out the bedroom-door and down the steps. I get to kitchen where I pick out some soup from dinner. I sneak out the window of the kitchen before I make my way to the back of the shed that leads down to the dungeon where we keep the prisoners. Once I get in, I spot the keys hanging just inside the front-door and unlock the doors leading to the cells.

We shouldn’t be here, Kate. This is not one of your brightest ideas! My wolf says to me rather nervous and tensed, but I ignore her comment. I’m not stupid, I’m just curious. I just have this impression of Alec that he’s not an all-bad guy at all. He was just unfortunate to learn of his mate’s death before I popped my head through the door. Stupid thing by the way. I should’ve listened to Blake.

There are hardly any prisoners down here so I find him quickly as I walk down the hallway. For a moment his eyes meet mine, but he turns away slightly. I can tell they’re dominated by the shock and anger, but there’s also grief in them. The sense of pity overshadows everything as I walk straight up to the bars of his cell, put down the bowl just inside the bars before I find a chair and sit a few meters away. He looks over at the bowl several times, but he doesn’t take it. I know he will eventually. He’s got to be hungry after all that running.

- You know, it’s just soup. Considering you haven’t eaten properly for days I thought I’d bring you some food. I figure they haven’t been too generous with it considering what led you down here in the first place.

I say as I take to my neck slightly and massage it. He looks over at me, as if he wants to say something, but he holds it back before he just stares dead ahead of himself.

- Aren’t you scared I’m gonna attack you again?

He asks after a while before he can’t seem to reject the smell of food and he moves slightly closer to the bars and slurps the whole thing up in a matter of seconds. It’s almost amusing because it looks like he’s never eaten a damn thing in his life

- You’re wearing silver-cuffs and I’m the one with the keys, so no. I’m not scared that you’ll attack me. Even if you do get out of the cuffs, the bars have silver implanted in them…

I answer as he stops for a moment before he finishes the last drop of the soup before putting the bowl just outside the bars.

- Besides, I don’t think you want to attack me again. You were shocked by a loss you didn’t even know of. It brings up a lot of anger and pain there and then…I know that.

I answer as I see him nod slightly to himself as he looks at his hands.

- I didn’t really mean to hurt you, I…like you said I was just angry. I wasn’t thinking clearly and my wolf was in control.

His voice is somewhat monotone, but at the same time, I can hear the sincere apology behind it.

- I know, and I forgive you…